V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy I have a 91 FXR that I'm planning on replacing the front end with a wide glide. I've got a couple questions.

1.)what size axle does a stock 91 FXR axle have?
2.)If I buy a wide glide front end will I have to swap the wheel out to match the axle diameter on the new front end or is it a matter of just replacing the wheel bearings on the front?
3.)Would I have any problem swapping in a fatboy or heritage front end instead of a standard wide glide front end? (Is there any difference aside from the tins?)

Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it.

-T.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
well i hope someone answers this cause i wanna do the same thing. i was also curious about using the fatboy frontend for the headlight and all the chrome trim. that would look awesome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I added a fatboy front end to an 85FXRT. Scrapped the sportster style front end and the fairing. Swapped out everthing including axle, brakes and all. Had a new head welded on the frame with 5 degrees rake. The added rake looked good but a real pain to turn compared to stock. Not sure on the axle size. Went with a 21" laced wheel instead of the fatboy wheel. Lot of work, looked good, but handling suffered do to the rake.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Can't remember where I got this but have saved in my documents:

Harley Sealed Bearing OEM #s are:
3/4" Bearing - 9267
1" Bearing - 9247
Dyna models have 3/4" axles Front & Rear until 2004 when they got 1" axles Front & Rear
Softails have 3/4" axles Front & Rear through 2004
FLT models in years 2000 & 2001 had 3/4" rear axles & 1" front axles. 2002 - 2004 have 1" axles Front & Rear

I believe it's correct information. Not sure about stock HD front end swaps. I just put a wide glide conversion on my superglide.

·
Banned
20 Posts
The front axle on an FXR is .750, same as all other HD models prior to 2000. You won't need to swap the wheel but you will need rotor spaces to match the fork width for the brakes. There are some kits available for this as well as axle spacers needed. The Fat Boy forks will also work, the only item that may need some work will be the fork stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.