V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I need some advice on battery replacement. The battery in my 1995 FXDWG finally quit (it was 7 years old and had been sitting as a result of a new baby and Hurricane Katrina). I purchased a new battery from HD, but it is about 3/8 of an inch deeper than the battery it is replacing and hangs over the lip of the battery box. The only way I can see it fitting is if I remove the two rubber bumpers on the back wall of the battery tray/box. I double checked the parts number and it is the correct battery. Additionally, the generic battery from Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly has the same dimensions. Am I missing something here? Any response is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
HD battery part # 65989-90B should work for your bike.
Is that the battery you received?
Are the battery box covers stock or have they been changed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
road_king, thanks for the reply. I have the replacement battery part number you cited (65989-90B). The bike has a chrome battery cover that is not stock, but is an HD part. I believe the battery box/tray is stock also. It has a lip on the outside edge, and the new battery will not fit within the lip.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
There are certain chrome HD battery covers that will not work with the new HD AGM batteries, which is what 65989-90B is.
There is a note refecting this in the 2006 HD accessory catalog on pages 180 and 787.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
road_king, thanks for the heads up on the catalog, but the battery won't fit even before you put the cover on it. I am going to try and remove the rubber bumpers and see if that clears it up. I went to my local dealership today and they have not encountered this problem before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts