V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to take a midnight run with the new caaaaaam! Just got'er in. Much better than the SE257 with my set-up. It might be different if I had 10.5:1 compression, but alas only 10:1.

Thanks Steve at GMR for supplying the parts and advice!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I put in a Baisley Spring and had the old cam pulled Sunday in anticipation of the new "Woody". Came home after work and went from about 6:30 until midnight. Used the baking method of installing the new cams in the plate from www.harleyhog.co.uk. They dropped in like a charm with no press when you bake the cam plate. I did have to press the bearing onto the front cam though.

I already had the 95", Flat Top Pistons, SE Performance heads, PC3 and Rinehart True Duals and High Five Breather

It's now 24 degrees F and I'm ridin to work today.

:banana:

·
Registered
141 Posts
prophet said:
Had to take a midnight run with the new caaaaaam! Just got'er in. Much better than the SE257 with my set-up. It might be different if I had 10.5:1 compression, but alas only 10:1.

Thanks Steve at GMR for supplying the parts and advice!
Hey Prophet, I have a bud also unhappy with the 257. What is the rest of your build and what bike is it on? Thanks, he may want to copy.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The build is listed above, the cam is a TW6 and the bike is an 06 Ultra.

·
Registered
63 Posts
swapping cams

Prophet,

I have a build that needs a little bump. BB, R and D Proformance ported heads, SE flat tops, Pro Pipe, TC1 cams, Big Sucker air box and jetted CV40 with a Yost Kit. Nice linear curves and torque is about 98 ft. lbs. at peak. The HP levels at 4500 at 82. I was seriously considering this cam. Do you have a dyno yet. I like the idea of keeping the lift and duratin low. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's definitely got a different sound, but I'm not sure if it's because of the rear cylinder idle issue. I'm having an idle issue with the rear cylinder at idle right now, where it misses almost like the heat management is kicking in. Otherwise it's a smokin' cam.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:woohoo:

Added more fuel (4 lights on the low range of the PC3)to take care of the rear cylinder idling issue. It's a keeper!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
What was your beef with the 257, and what was your goal with the new Woods. Have a Woods carb on my Road King and really love their work. I run a 257 with a 95 in. and Screaming Eagle Heads, and have had good luck with the combo.

Probably be getting a new bike soon, and looking at the next set up. Looking over the options now, and just looking for opinions on the Woods cam.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 257 is not the cam to use with 10:1 compression, that's all. It came on at 3200 RPM's after I change my baffles, 3500 before, and pulled all the way out to 120 MPH. The problem is at 65 MPH in 4th gear it was a dog. The new wood TW6hits alot harder at 55 MPH in 4th, 65 MPH in 5th and pulls hard into triple digits. In other words it comes on at 2500 RPM's, which is where I need it in full dresser.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
That must be it, again the example of how different set ups go together. I didn't have that trouble with the 257. My torque curve was great right from the start. I've got one posted, just search for 102.5 and it will hit on the post.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FLHP, what is your build anyways? The curve on your dyno looks alot better than mine did...actually the curves were the same only your numbers were all about 10 HP and 10 ft/lbs higher

·
Registered
106 Posts
65 mph in 5th

prophet said:
The 257 is not the cam to use with 10:1 compression, that's all. It came on at 3200 RPM's after I change my baffles, 3500 before, and pulled all the way out to 120 MPH. The problem is at 65 MPH in 4th gear it was a dog. The new wood TW6hits alot harder at 55 MPH in 4th, 65 MPH in 5th and pulls hard into triple digits. In other words it comes on at 2500 RPM's, which is where I need it in full dresser.

I have an 04 Dyna with 3:37 gearing - no way I would be in 5th gear at 65 mph - probably still in 3rd at about 4k rpm. I love the 257, I am not below 3K very often. From 4 to 6 it really goes.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 3.37 gearing would have gotten me a little closer to 3000 rpm for the power band, but with an Ultra it was doggy. The Woods TW-6 gets me good roll on power from 2800 rpm. When I would be sporting around without the wife and luggage and getting on it, the 257 got me there pretty quickly. I just don't like running at 4K all the time on the highway. When I'm cruising at 65-70 and need to get around someone quickly, I didn't like having to downshift...and at less than 65mph I would have to down shift to 3rd. This may have been more a tuning issue, but more likely the 10:1 compression was doing me in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts