V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock headlamp on my 08 Train. A 9003 bulb typically lasts about 2 or 3 months before burning out. I have tried everything from a Harley replacement to heavy duty bulb from the parts store.
The voltage to the bulb isn't excessive and it has a proper ground.

Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quit driving on gravel roads or replace the regulator...

(measure the voltage when you're running down the
road an I think you'll find it just a little high...)

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
As said above, high voltage can shorten life. You also need to check the ground for resistance. An intermittent ground will cause the voltage to spike and kill the bulb.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
When the bulb burns out, does it burn out black inside, like a flash bulb? That can be a sign of a bad regulator. It may be intermittent. It should not exceed 14.4vdc when reving it up. A little, but not alot over that atleast, depending on your meter.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The filament just breaks making me think it may be a vibration issue. I can positively say the ground is not the problem but I will strap my Fluke to the risers and monitor the voltage going down the road. Sitting still and revving produced 14.2v max but sustained high rpm may be different.

I just recently had to replace the stator so the cause my be gone and the damage may have already been done to the last bulb even though it didn't blow until after the stator repair.
Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Dunno. Monitor the voltage. Is there anything physical doing it? Some kind of rubber bushing that is missing?

Did you change out the bulb? Was there a rubber or foam piece that went around? Dunno.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts