V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have the CAM tensioners replaced on my 2000FXD before Spring, and have talked to the service manager at my local dealer twice about this. He is telling me that replacing the tensioners is at a minimum a 1/2 day project, or at least 4 hours or more. It seems that this is not that time consuming for an experienced mechanic. Is this guy jerking me around or is it really going to take 4 or more hours to replace the CAM tensioners???

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
sthorp said:
I am going to have the CAM tensioners replaced on my 2000FXD before Spring, and have talked to the service manager at my local dealer twice about this. He is telling me that replacing the tensioners is at a minimum a 1/2 day project, or at least 4 hours or more. It seems that this is not that time consuming for an experienced mechanic. Is this guy jerking me around or is it really going to take 4 or more hours to replace the CAM tensioners???

Get a shop manual and do it yourself! Seems to me that 4hrs for an experienced mechanic is a lot for just changing the tensioners. My-2$en#e-

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well it is probably what the job pays by the book.

I would like you to think about what all needs to come off to get to the chest, and then what needs done once there. Do you have to pull the cam plate to replace them?

I don't know if I could do it in 4 but I would get it done in a nice easy Saturday project.

Me, it would be gear time for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
If they are doing it by the book and taking out the pushrods, it could very well take even a good tech 4 hours. Cutting the pushrods and replacing them with adjustables could shave off sometime, but then increase the parts bill by 100+ bucks. If you still have stock cams, you might as well have 'em put you in a set of bolt-ins, you are doing all the labor for a cam swap when you change tensioners.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The time sounds about right. You could save some hours by having them cut out the old pushrods as Mr. XXX says and this would increase the bill by about $139.00. Probably a good idea for the next time.

The exhaust has to come off but that's not quite as difficult on a Dyna as it is on an E.G.

Best bet would be to get the manual and do the job yourself...but that's just the way I tend to handle matters. If you did it yourself, the parts and gaskets would be about $250 with the pushrods. Assuming the dealer does it at $90 per hour, you're looking at about $700.

Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That much money could buy some gear drive cams and adjustable pushrods then borrow some cam tools and do the job yourself. You won't have to take off your tank or rockers and your bike will get a little boost in power and the tensioners will not be a worry any more. You probably didn't want to hear this. If I was dropping $700 I would be swapping cams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts