1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long to get painted
parts from Harley Davidson. I live in Maryland, about 45 minutes from
York, Pa. I have been told by Dealer and Insurance adjuster that a minimum
or 11 weeks for turn aroung of paint parts. wow, what a wake up call.
Is there anyway around that. Maybe call the customer service phone nuber
in the Service Manual.
What experience does everyone have on repair times???

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I have friends that have purchased tins from the factory for numerous reasons: replacing parts damaged in a wreck, going to a "custom" MoCo set of tins and replacing worn paint or changing colors. All will receive them hopefully before loss of eyesight due to extreme age...simply put, what you are told the time frame is likely way short of the reality...there may have been a FEW exceptions!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Keep in mind they will not just stop what they are in process of doing to paint a particular part for an individual. They most likely wait until there is a need to paint multiple parts the same color.

It took about 6 weeks for a painted front fender - '04 Teal Green / stock color - to come from H-D when I had my wreck. And this was on a bike that was only 1 year old when I had wreck. They probably don't keep a stock of already painted parts readily available unless it is current year's parts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For what it is worth, Harley Davidson does not paint replacment tin themselves, the work is subcontracted out to private companies in different parts of the country. Each company is responsible for the parts needed for its region......Bill

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Bill,
An example is the paint set on my 1995 FXDWG. It was painted in '96 by a shop in California called "Colormania". I have been told by good sources that the shop was bught out by HD in 2001 and the guys only paint for the MoCo now. My paint is HOK, over 10 years old and as good as new. When I put a good coat of Meguires Gold on it, it still looks wet and deep...with absolutely no swirls if you use the right kind of pressure and the right kind of cloth. HOK...GREAT paint...and the painter was a real pro.

Had a friend of mine who had a small ding in his front fender of his '03 Road King. The dealer put on a little touch-up paint and then burnt the heck out of it when they tried to polish it up. It took 4-5 months to get the replacement. And I imagine they have quite a few spares for the silver and black paint sets of the 100th anniversary bikes.

I would bet that HD is not going to do anything that would slow down the production process of getting bikes to the dealers.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told they paint only a couple of colors a week and it takes about 8 weeks to cycle through all the colors. I had to wait three months for a gunmetal pearl rear fender for a 03 FXDL. Wife and I got hit from behind on labor Day weekend in Hot Springs AR. Didn't get the bike back until Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
206 Posts
New tins

Unless your bike is a custom color or custom paint you may want to consider looking on Ebay for a take-off set.
I had my bike vandalized a few years back and found a beautiful paint set on Ebay for my Heritage.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
MegaGlide said:
The reason is that all the tins are stamped/welded in Taiwan.
Then they have to be shipped to Mexico where any machining/smoothing is done and they are prepped and painted. Then they are shipped to the distribution center and on to you.
I'm sure they would be able to get them to you inside of 10 days if you call the customer service phone nuber in the Service Manual, though.
I could be wrong but the tins being stamped in York looked like standard HD tins...though they onlt do Softtail and Glide tins...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The company that paints HD tins, shoots one particular color at a time. For example this week they may be shooting black and next week vivid red. So it depends on when they receive your order in the cycle. Add to the fact that there are so many different colors from over the years and you can see how it might take a while to come back around to any given color. I ordered a RK front fender and it arrived at the dealer in 5 weeks. My guess would be to expect a painted part to arrive at the dealer in 4 to 12 weeks after the order is placed.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Or, for the cost of new painted parts from H-D, go to ebay and get a set of tins and then get them custom painted. It would probably cost less than H-D set new. But most custom painters are in the height of their season right now. I sent my tins off in late January and was told 8 weeks. I got them in 7 weeks.

Some custom painters keep painted tins in stock. Might find a set you like. Hit the link in my signature file. This guy does a ton of FXST Signature Sets.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waiting for new parts!!

I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for new painted parts for my Ultra Classic that got t-boned. Why does it take so long for Harley to send these parts?? It's bike week here and since Harley is delaying my parts I can't get my bike fixed!! Piss poor owner service I say! Any known way to speed this up??

·
Super Moderator
21,610 Posts
When I repaired my Roadie year before last, some of the paint was in before a month had past. But the tank took almost three months to show up. And it smelled of fresh paint when I opened the box.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
My records of bad and good are, 11 months for the bad, and 1 week for the good. At the shop we did quite a few brand new sets, for wrecks, etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have ordered painted parts from HD and I always had them in 7 to 8 weeks and my bike is a one year only color. The color of my bike is only available in 08 and it is Candy Red Sunglo which is a 3 part paint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
here in my contry if the bike is +5 years we don,t wait for the moco the season is so short that 8-11 week's past july and we are deadth.. we do the paints by car painters with exp. in bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts