V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Florida (From Wisconsin) for a vacation with the wife. We were thinking of renting a Road King for 2-3 days while we are down there to get some riding in since we haven't been able to ride for months here in Wisconsin. Has anyone done this? Good/bad experiences? I own a Road King and obviously have a license, insurance, etc.. But was wondering if how the process went and if it was worth doing.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
My brother-in-law went to Orlando during January. He had a blast with an EG that he rented for 3 days.

He had no reservations or anything like that - went up to the counter and asked about rentals - they ask, "waddya want?" They have their own insurance if wanted and he got an EG w/ 500 miles on it. Pretty cool deal. I plan on doing it myself when I take a trip to Monterrey in April.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Crimson said:
I'm headed to Florida (From Wisconsin) for a vacation with the wife. We were thinking of renting a Road King for 2-3 days while we are down there to get some riding in since we haven't been able to ride for months here in Wisconsin. Has anyone done this? Good/bad experiences? I own a Road King and obviously have a license, insurance, etc.. But was wondering if how the process went and if it was worth doing.
I rented a Harley twice in Dallas when I went down to Texas, and my hubbie and I rented them in Kauai, Hawaii on our honeymoon - definitely worth it if you want to ride somewhere but can't bring your own. Rates CAN be expensive, and there's a steep deposit for insurance, but of course you get it back if you bring the bike back in one piece. Sounds like you've got a cycle endorsement already so you shouldn't have a problem. You may want to make reservations, and then you usually just have to fill out some paperwork and give them a copy of your license. Enjoy!

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
By all means go do it and enjoy some warm weather...

I rented a RK in Cleveland last July and it was easy. Would not hesitate to do it again. Pay attention to all the charges. Once I got to the dealership and checked the charges, it was a little higher than I had expected, but not bad. I don't believe they misrepresented the pricing, I just didn't pay attention.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Just like renting a car, just a little higher deposit. If your going during bike week, I'd call ahead, most larger HD Dealers have rentals.

·
Hardass
547 Posts
I imagine the experience will vary with the dealerships you are renting from. Overall, it seems to be pretty easy. I've done it once, while my bike was in the shop.

I suggest you call ahead and reserve what you want though. Sometimes, rentals can be popular and you don't want to end up not being able to get what you want, or anything at all.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
If you are a HOG member, use Fly and Ride. Saves ya a couple bucks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recommend HOG rental if you can.

I've rented direct from a Dealership (Chicks HD in Albuquerque) and through H.O.G.

Through the dealer was no problem and they were extremely helpful. Only thing was, I was paying $140/day plus another $40/day for insurance through Chicks. Plus, there was a $2,000 authorization on my credit card when I made the reservation. But, they also let me switch bikes over the 2 days to get a day on a Low Rider & a day on a Heritage. Very cool.

Going through H.O.G., the only issue I had was that I wanted a Heritage which they booked me on, but when I got to the dealer, they had me on a Road Glide which is not what I wanted. There was no huge authorization through H.O.G. and the rental was probably $70/day less than through the dealer. Smaller selection of bikes though. I do believe they have the Road King though. When I called H.O.G. about the mixup in bikes a couple of weeks later, they refunded my money in full, which was positive. Just be sure you look at all the contracts prior to pickup to make sure they don't switch on you.

I will rent again if I can't ride mine to where I'm going, and I will rent again through H.O.G. I recommend it if you can.

Ogre

·
Registered
428 Posts
I rented in Las Vegas through Eagle Riders....good experience and had a blast.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Orlando Harley rents bikes and has a wide variety. Bikes are always newest models and full gear. Everything from Sporties to Ultras and everything in between are available. Helmets are a must to get out the door (Yours or theirs). Have riden many of their rentals and always pleased. Insurance optional. Just a couple of forms to fill out. Mostly check boxes saying you agree or Decline something. About four legal sized pages to read but reads fast and is just common sense stuff like You will not hold the dealer responsible if you fall off and hurt your bum. Great riding state. Millions of miles to ride. Bike week coming and reservations needed well in advance. Stay off the turnpikes I-4 and I-95. Those roads are death traps.

Bring a credit card and drivers license with a M/C endorsement.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
DenverOgre said:
I've rented direct from a Dealership (Chicks HD in Albuquerque) and through H.O.G.

Through the dealer was no problem and they were extremely helpful. Only thing was, I was paying $140/day plus another $40/day for insurance through Chicks. Plus, there was a $2,000 authorization on my credit card when I made the reservation. But, they also let me switch bikes over the 2 days to get a day on a Low Rider & a day on a Heritage. Very cool.

Ogre
I've rented from Chicks the last 2 years and had a little different experience. They told me $140/day and that included all insurance. I could have declined the insurance (I didn't) and that would have made the rate $100/day. They charged my card $100 to hold the reservation and applied it to the rental cost when it was over. They required a $1500 charge card deposit when I picked up the bike both times but never charged my account. When I dropped the bike off both times, they gave me 2 free days. Guess it depended on what kind of day Marc was having. Don't know what Thunderbird is going to do about rentals now that Chick sold the business, last I heard, they weren't renting.
I called HOG about Fly & Ride in ABQ and they were booked solid for several months.

p.s. just checked Thunderbird online and they are renting now.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
I rented an Electraglide in Wisconsin from Appleton HD and had a great time riding up to Door County. Very friendly dealer. We rented the bike one morning and they told us we didn't have to return it until 5 pm the next day. So we basically got two days riding for a one day rental fee.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I rented a Heritage Softail in Frisco a few years ago through Eagle Riders for $130. They supplied a helmet for me and the wife, as well as a disc brake lock. We had a hell of a good time riding through the hills south of Frisco. I will definitely do it again. I reserved the bike ahead of time though. It had 1600 miles on it!!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I rented an Ultra in Phoenix from Buddy Stubbs HD.
Transaction went smoothly. Bike was current model year, clean and ran like a top. Rain gear and helmet was supplied.

Only problem.....I had to buy an Ultra when I got home.:clap:

Go ahead.. rent one and have a ride.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Several times. Eagle Rider in Vegas, Vegas HD and the best was through HOG Fly & Ride in Hawaii. As stated before HOG is cheaper but needs to be 2 days or more. If you go Fly & Ride make sure you give yourself enough time for the contract to get to you, sign it and get back to them.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
My local dealer charges $75 a day and if you are bringing yours in for service the rate drops to $35. I tell him my bike is being serviced, he rolls his eyes and charges me $35. That's one of the reasons I don't use the term "stealer"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Fly and Ride offers a better deal if you are renting for 3 or more days. Since I only had 1 free day, I rented from Eagle Rentals in San Francisco. I was gonna go to a local dealer, but got some bad feedback from a local HOG chapter officer about them. So I decided to go elsewhere. You might want to check out which places you can rent from and then talk to some locals by looking up the HOG chapters around the area to find out the dealers reputation first.

My insurance covered me, but not the bike itself. :-( I chose to take some insurance, but not all the things they offered. I had a problem the day I had reserved. There was so much rain and some flooding, so the place refused to rent me a bike! Grrrrr. I shuffled my plans and made another day free instead and that day and all worked out fine.

With my calls to local chapters, I was able to find a "tour guide" who I rode with on one of the best rides I ever had. I would recommend renting if you can't ride somewhere.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Crucial insurance issue!

Before you decide NOT to purchase the H-D damage waiver insurance, check with your own bike insurance company. Some only cover you when you are on your own bike! I know American Family works this way. If your insurance company does not cover "rental bikes" you ride, then you probably should purchase the damage waiver. Damage waivers are a big money maker for H-D. However, to have an "incident" and not be covered could be expensive.

I have rented from H-D under their basic rental program and through Fly-n-Ride. Fly-n-Ride is much cheaper. The daily rate under this program, for an Electra-Glide Classic, "including" insurance, was $100/day.

There are less than 50 U.S. dealers who offer this. And, you have to be a member of HOG. This feature is - :wacko:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts