V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ladies and gentlemen, we rented a '02 Ultra Classic for a 24 hour period from IndyWest in Plainfield, Indiana. First off, never have rode on a Ultra Classic but we did rent previously a Road King and a Heritage Softtail. Let me tell you, this is the best of the three, at least for us. Man, I'm glad I went with the Ultra instead of the Road King:) I just don't understand what people are talking about when they say the baggers are under powered. Now remember, we were central/southern Indiana in Brown County, Nashville area, French Lick area. Lots of hills, lots of twisties and loads of fun. Never once did I think going up these hills, that I needed more power. If I wanted to get up the hill quicker, I shifted down to fourth, run that sucker up to 5 grand, by that time I was doing 80. So, for the under power comment, I just don't see it. Ride quality was excellent. Seat, believe it or not, we may be able to live with the stock seat. I thought the fairing was great wind protection but I will go with a aftermarket, bigger windshield. There is a place in Gibson City, Illinois that makes one about 3 inches taller and wider. In the 24 hour period we only put on 375 miles. We did about 20 miles of interstate driving up 65 to Columbus, Indiana where we spent the night. I purposely tried and succeeded to come upon 2 semis just to see how bad the wind was with a handlebar mounted fairing. I was impressed! To me and the wife agrees, wind protection was as good if not better than our 1988 Gold Wing. I did not feel that the wind whipped us around at all. Now I'm talking 3 car lengths behind 2 semis. It was (just) not a problem. The only bad thing from this little venture, our bike won't be here until February:( Now, the wait will be that much worse now that I know what I will be getting. I could go on and on, YES, I could knit-pick things but oh well and there is things that I would have done different but I guess Harley won't make a bike for just Mark Smith;) I am so pumped, before we got on this bike, I had no idea what to expect. Now that I do know what to expect, I'm like a seven year old on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa. I'm sure alot of you guys and girls can relate to what I'm saying but you have been there, done that. I have never owned a Harley before in my life so I guess that makes it a little more special that this would be my first, can all of you remember your first guy or girl?:) that you fell in love with.:) Well, I better end this, February can't come too soon:cool:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Hi Mark! I can sure relate to what you said. I got my 03 Ultra in early August. It was my first Harley too. I previously had a 91 Goldwing and after just 3500 miles you will never get me back on a Goldwing again. I just mentioned to my wife yesterday about the wind protection being better than the wing. The only place I get more wind is around my knees but with the wing I got more wind in my face and it seemed to go over my head and right down the back of my neck. No such problems with the Harley. The ride is great and like you I have noticed no ill effects from the handle bar mounted fairing. For 2 or 300 mile days the seat is fine but I recently rode just over 400 miles in about 7 hours and my butt was killing me. Nothing a Road Zepplin won't cure. Too bad you have to wait but I have seen the Ultra in Gunmetal pearl and it is beautiful. It will be worth the wait! Almost wish I had gotten that instead of my black and silver although I think it looks great too. Good luck and hope you get her soon. Your going to love it!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm glad your experience here in the Hoosier was an enjoyable one. Hope you get to come on over and enjoy many more rides on your new machine. Me..... I don't have an Ultra, but I'm greatful I have a buddy that lets me take his "97" anytime I want. I may have to keep an eye out for and older Ultra cause they is always someone wanting go. Congrats on the 03

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
""just to see how bad the wind was with a handlebar mounted fairing. I was impressed! ""

Mark, great idea to rent first, thats what we did as well. I didn' realize the ultra had handlebar mounted fairing, never looked real close, i guess.
Are you sure it's not frame mounted? I have read that road glide is frame mountef, so just assumed....

Feb will be here before you know it!

greg

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree...

I rented an '02 Ultra out of Cincinnati this past summer... annually, my mom (she's 65yrs) and I take a weekend bike vacation. Meet at some location and go ridin'.

This year we toured southern Indiana, and spent a night in the hometown of Larry the Legend (French Lick). Great time and great bike. Great passenger accomodations too.

Steve

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mark,
You will love the Ultra, it's a Great bike. :)

That area of Indiana, around Nashville and Turkey Run has some great roads and backroads. It is one of my favorite rides.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mark: Welcome to the Harley family. I decided on a Heritage Softail. I love my bike for my kind of riding. But I almost chose the Ultra and in some ways I probably should have. My wife and son would have enjoyed the ride a lot more! Remember, you only have to wait for your bike once, but you'll be riding it for a long time. It will be well worth the wait. I'm sure of that! Come on out to Oregon and try our hills and mountains with that baby! You'll love the scenery. Ocean, desert, rivers, mountains. Got it all!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I grew up in Indiana and Nashville and Brown County are really great places. I hope to get back and ride there sometime. I am told there is a pretty good sized new Harley Dealer in Edinburg, IN which is on US 31 between Franklin, IN and Columbus, IN. Actually, I think the shop may be in with the Outlet Stores on I-65. Anyone been there? Might be a good excuse for a ride in the hills of Southern Indiana.... :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
gbenner said:

...Are you sure it's not frame mounted? I have read that road glide is frame mountef, so just assumed....

Markcuda, I felt the same way when I got my '01 and still love it!! I also still am happy with the stock seat. Post some pictures when it comes in.

gbenner, the fairing is handlebar mounted on the Electra Glides. If it was frame mounted, it wouldn't move when you turned the handlebars like the Tour Glide's fairing. - Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts