V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to the thread about removing reflectors from the rear crash bars, how to do it, what to use, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just pulled mine off slowly, then used gasoline to get the glue off the chrome. A lot of guys heat them with a hairdryer first and then peel them off.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Just work them back and forth by hand until you can twist them off. I used GooGone to get the adhesive off. I don't trust GoofOff, it can destroy some surfaces. If you have a heat gun, heating them up a bit first works very well, but don't overheat plastic or paint.

Once I got started, I got rid of all those damned stickers that litter the bike.

I also found some black vinyl sheets somewhere online that you can cut into any shape you like which reflect white. During the day, you can't see them on the frame, but at night they glow bright white when hit by headlights.

If anyone is interested, I can try to find the link.

·
Registered
55 Posts
8-Ball said:
I also found some black vinyl sheets somewhere online that you can cut into any shape you like which reflect white. During the day, you can't see them on the frame, but at night they glow bright white when hit by headlights.

If anyone is interested, I can try to find the link.
yeah - if you could provide the link, that would be great...

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to the motor company, removing those reflectors could cause serious injury and/or death. You'd better put them back on or it will void your warranty.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Black Reflective vinyl

anarchy said:
yeah - if you could provide the link, that would be great...
Just check with your local sign shop or sign material supplier. Black reflective can be found made by 3M and Arlon (among others). 3M is the best, generally. The only bitch with reflective vinyl is ever taking it off. Also...the color/texture is not a gloss black like the frame, it's more like a metallic black because of the reflective glass particles that make it up....

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
try streetglo.net

I haven't ordered from them, I just did a google for black reflective vinyl

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The link is:

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm#sheets

$15.95 for two letter sized 3M sheets.

They don't match the frame exactly, you are right, but you don't notice unless you study it up close and I wanted the safety at night. In case you haven't noticed, the bright orange stock reflectors don't match the frame either.

I also took the red reflectors off of my saddlebags and cut a design for the side of the swing arm.

Oh... and by the way, I think it says somewhere in my manual that riding my bike could cause serious injury or death.... so whats the difference. I'm beginning to see a similar warning on my toilet paper dealing with improper wiping technique.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
$15.95??

If enough of you guys want this, I'll order up a roll & sell you guys a chunk 13.75" x 15" for $9.95 + shipping genuine 3M. I don't usually stock the reflective black...but I can get it in a day.

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
1bdBagr said:
If enough of you guys want this, I'll order up a roll & sell you guys a chunk 13.75" x 15" for $9.95 + shipping genuine 3M. I don't usually stock the reflective black...but I can get it in a day.
I would like a sheet if you can get enough others.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
hey guys, thought i would throw something interesting in here. One of my customers has a 01-02 roadking. The reflector the is mounted on the downtube of the frame right by the front exhaust pipe, well it fell off due to heat..actually pretty common with this mounting point. He actually wanted me to go to the dealer and order a NEW one....I was shocked, the dealer actually laughed at me when i had to ask them.....I ended up finally talking him into a slightly used one as i have about...no joke 100 of them.....though this was funny...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts