V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin' of removin' the rear shifter arm and peg or maybe just the peg on my '02 Ultra. This would give a lot more room to move your boot around on the floorboard.

Anyone done this? Did you remove just the rear peg and leave the arm? Did you remove the rear arm too and if so, what did you use to take up the space where the arm is attached with the front shifter arm?

Is this something that an MC (mechanically challenged) person can do?

I also bought a nice pair of Harley black leather lace up boots. Problem is, the toe and sole is so thick it doesn't quite fit under the front shifter peg. I'm guessin' the front shifter arm can be shifted around and remounted on a different spline to give more room?

Thanks ...

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I removed the entire rear arm. The best way to do this is to order the Kuryakyn heel shift arm eliminator (part 1031) which is a chrome sleeve that covers the extra shaft exposed by the removed arm. It also shifts the toe arm outboard an inch to where the heel arm was (heel arm was outboard of the toe arm).

The toe arm can be installed in a new position to be higher when you do the install or just remove the arms and do it now. Be sure to locktite (blue) the bolts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Logical! Great picture. Orderin' the part today.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
UltraClassic said:
Thanks Logical! Great picture. Orderin' the part today.
I swiped the picture from the kuryakyn site...if I had taken one of my own you wouldn't be able to tell if it was my Fat Boy shifter or the plumbing under my kitchen sink. I have zero digital photography skills.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
logical said:

I have zero digital photography skills.
Step one: turn camera on to "Auto"

Step two: point

Step three: shoot

Step four: post heinously large picture 'cause you haven't learned to resize your images yet:D

wyo

·
Registered
428 Posts
EZ Brake also makes a spacer if you remove the heel shifter arm/peg. It has an inner spring with it to keep tension on the assembly, less slop in it then. I wasn't sure if Kuryakyn had this feature also.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you remove the heel shifter you want the toe shifter on the inside spline. They sell a cheap chromed cover for the end of the shaft.

There is always some play in the bushings and the longer the overhang of the shaft the more imprecise it feels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want to keep both the toe and heal shifters, Soft Brake makes replacement shift arms in different lengths, 1", 1.5", and 2" longer than the originals. I opted for the 1.5" longer arm on the rear (heal) shifter, which allowed for plenty of "movin around room" for my left boot. You can see their products at: www.softbrake.com

Ride Safe

·
Registered
276 Posts
remove my heel shifter and got a spline cap from the stealer. moving the toe shifter out is just going to give you less room......

·
Registered
401 Posts
I removed my heel shifter also, got the EZ Brake lever and spacer. Gave quite a bit more room on the floorboard. Added the Kuryakyn "Long Horn" Shifter Peg. Worked out real well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I removed the rear shifter arm after it stripped and locked the shifter so I could not shift. I hear they are always going out and more depending on how hard you shift. I used the Kuryakyn spacer and put on a butt load of Locktite to hold it in place. I initially tried to reposition the front shifter higher but I didn't like the feel so I went back to OEM position. All that work is easy too!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all ... ordered the KA1031 Kuryakyn part for 14.91 from Direct Parts. Also ordered some loctite blue. Now if I can just figure out what an allen wrench is before the part comes in. (kidding)

·
Registered
55 Posts
dont blow money on kury stuff go to ace hardware and get a chrome bushing spacer and a chrome spring cut the spring to length they are about 2 inches long cost about 4.00

·
Registered
688 Posts
Took my rear shift lever off for more room on the footboard. Sure, my boot gets a little messed up from up-shifting but the trade off is worth it. Each to his/her own ride be true!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Logical ... thanks again for the Kury tip ... got the part today and it works great. I shifted up a spline and now I can use the boots with the big sole also. I like the feel of the shifter now that it's in the position where the rear shifter arm used to be.

The Kury part is well designed and is hollowed out inside so it slips nicely over the black thing (spacer?).

I even like the way it looks ... much cleaner and much easier to clean behind where the rear shifter arm used to be.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I went to the local stealer and he had another Kuryakyn part (#K9072 small beauty cap for shift spline) that lets you leave the toe shifter arm in the inside original position. This is a cap that just slips over the outside heel shifter arm splines and tightens down with a allen (included). Cost = 10.00, looks clean and good. The toe arm stays on the inside where it's out of the way. Problem solved @ a fair cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts