V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer I had a flamed pin stripe painted over my clear coat. Being the decisive person I am, I now want it replaced with a different style of pin striping.

Is there a chemical that will remove the paint, but not the underlying clear coat? Or will I need to do some light sanding?

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
striping

how fresh was your striping?...how long did the clear coat cure before applying striping and last question...One Shot enamel or House of Kolor urethane? For one shot...Easy off oven cleaner (yellow can original) works on baked & catalysed original finishes, not custom done aftermarket paint. I will mask off everything EXCEPT what you're trying to take off and spray a light to med coat over it . hit it with your fingernail after a few mins and see if it's softening it. when it is coming off, wipe off with a paper towel and get all masking & overspray off quickly. I've seen it stain metallic truck finishes before. wipe over area with lacquer thinner and get off remnants and finish with color sand & buff (if needed). Lacquer thinner sometimes will get off one shot if it hasn't baked on. I'll use a soft rag w/ lacquer thinner & med rubbing compound to get striping off on occasion... Hope this helps...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory paint job and clear coat from '03. The pinstripe was painted in June '05. Wasn't House of Kolor, but not sure what he used.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
stripe removal

i'd use a rag with some lacquer thinner with a dab of rubbing compound on a small spot and see how it goes. when it's all off finish off with a buff job. Hope it works for you...

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
painted pin stripe over the clear? how good are ya with a razor blade? i can get it off personally this way as i got a pretty steady hand. if not i would say the laquer thinner and a rag, then buff. or try this stuff called goof off available at most hrdware stores.

and don't think i forgot bout those midcontrols tick! the camera i used to get the pics created an extremely large file and could not get it to download onto the site. gotta personal e mail? i can send it to you that way.
just gotta new camera and still trying to figure it and the gazillion buttons out and what they do. sorry. i will get it to ya one way or another.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dashooter said:
painted pin stripe over the clear? how good are ya with a razor blade? i can get it off personally this way as i got a pretty steady hand. if not i would say the laquer thinner and a rag, then buff. or try this stuff called goof off available at most hrdware stores.

and don't think i forgot bout those midcontrols tick! the camera i used to get the pics created an extremely large file and could not get it to download onto the site. gotta personal e mail? i can send it to you that way.
just gotta new camera and still trying to figure it and the gazillion buttons out and what they do. sorry. i will get it to ya one way or another.
Actually my memory sucks. I forgot the pinstripe is covering up the break in the crappy 100th anniversery stripe. What I need to do is sell that crappy tank and start from scratch. Nice stretch tank, vivid or glossy black, and a professional pin striping design under the clear coat. If I ever buy another Harley, it'll be a solid base coat or sanded primer :whistle:

What you need is a utility to resize the image. In the meantime, I'll send you a private message with my email address.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts