V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you do it? I have the service manual with cross sections of the housings, but I'll be darned if I can get any of the terminals out of the housing.

The manual mentions a "pick" tool, but never specifies a part number for the tool. I've tried safety pins, paper clips & even filed an old screw driver down, but nothing works.

Does anybody have any tricks/tips to suggest?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Pull the plug halves apart, there an end cap (internal) , pull that out.
Now you've got access to the inside, you can see in to each individual wire.
Use whatever you got handy thats long and thin enough to reach the plastic locking tabs, (rather like a very small one sided saddlebag clip that RKC have).....pull each wire out one by one.
It's hard to put into words but you'll see what I mean when you do it.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I use a dental pick but a small paper clip works just as well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I feel for you ...... Some plugs don't have the internal part to remove!.... I usually give up and just cut the wires.... Guess it takes more patience then I've got so good luck...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ive used a small spring hook to remove the center pieces and then used a small electronics screwdriver to disengage the lock tab.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Get a pin removal and insertion kit, shouldn't be more than $25.00 at your local Electronics store, and will make that jump much eaiser!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
no need for 'special" tools....just use a really small screwdriver like an eyeglass screwdriver. it is a little tricky but once you get the first one you have the feel for it and can pop them out all day long. there are several types of connectors and they all take a little different technique but all are very doable without a special pic.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A suggestion is to go to the dealership and buy a few new terminals of the same kind you are attempting to remove. The key ting is to understand exactly where the tangs are that prevent the plug form slipping out the rear. they can be on the side or on the top of the connector. Tehn as others mentioned, push the plug forward a little and slip the small screw driver or pick in to hold the tankg down and it will slip out the rear. BE SURE TO slide the rear seal out form the wire area as well as the inside strain relief. that was mentioned IF it is in the type plug you are working on.

The suggestion to cut them isn't a bad one IF you have enought wire to reconnect and the H_D wire terminal pliers to PROPERLY crimp the new connectors. I ALWAYS SAVE MY SPARE STUFF --CONNECTOR PLUGS AND PLUGS JUST IN CASE.

GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts