V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looks like I'm getting real single, real fast. :p No need for ***** seating provisions, and I prefer the open fender look anyhow. Not only that, but I figure ditching the back seat sort of protects me from my own stupidity. No telling what I might otherwise drag home on that back seat.

So if I take off the sissy bar sideplates do I replace with a non-sissy bar sideplate? Or do the fender supports cozy right up to the fender? My bike has the saddlebag supports. Does that matter? Will I have to cut the turn signal wires?

Thanks,
Chilly, the new SINGLE guy

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have a 02 FXD that I just put the docking hardware for detachable sideplates on and if yours is anywhere near the same set up (don't know your year/model) you should be able to just take out the front bolt and rear turn signal bolt and remove the sideplate and bolt it back up. No problem. Not sure about the saddlebag supports.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

So your bike didn't have anything under the fender strut before you installed the detachable sideplates? I might have to look into detachable plates for my bike. I want the option to switch back to the two-up seat with sissy bar for long trips. Lots more room for cargo.

Thanks for the come-back

Chilly

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
When I bought the bike from the dealer I had them install rigid sideplates and the sissybar but , like you, I also always liked the look of the bare rear fender and wanted the option of putting on the sissybar and passenger seat when my girl rides. But stock the bike did not come with anything but the fender and turn signal mounted on the fender strut.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check into the quick detachable sissy bar set-up. I don't have a sissybar on my FXR at all- love the look, but I also have another bike for trips. If you occasionally go on trips- the sissy bar is good to have.
Another thing, the side plates may have popped the paint on the fender. If this has happened it may lead to other ideas.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I concur on the sissy bar....It's great for attaching stuff to.

And it's OK to keep the pillion on to give rides and such, just don't take it home if it looks road worn and sun damaged.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see the detachable sideplates offered for pre-96 Dynas. I have saddle bags so I'm not completely SOL for hauling stuff on a regular basis. I'll just put the sideplates back on before long trips I guess.

Hey Chops, the pillion WITHOUT a sissy bar might be a good thing anyhow. If the fresh air in my face brings me to my senses I can roll on the throttle to unload unwanted cargo.

Chilly

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Unless you have some kind of a weird setup, the sissy bar sideplates are mounted outside of the fender struts. Removing them and the support bars is no problem but you will probably have to change out the bolts to shorter ones. Nothing to do to wiring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not that familiar with a Dyna set up- but some of the earlier bikes (other models- FXRs for ex.) put the side plate between the strut and the fender- it was against the painted surface.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ed Y said:
Unless you have some kind of a weird setup, the sissy bar sideplates are mounted outside of the fender struts. Removing them and the support bars is no problem but you will probably have to change out the bolts to shorter ones. Nothing to do to wiring.
What Ed said. Same shitt on mine. Just be careful when you remove the bolts. The fender is held on by them and will drop and get scratched by the struts. Put tape on the fender over and under yer strut to prevent scratches. Your blinker wires could get pull on also they go thru the strut. It's a good idea to have someone hold yer fender when you take out the bolts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip Fatboy. I'm sure I would have made that mistake. I'll do one side at a time, but it still might move a little.

Chilly

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Chilly,

I just removed the plates from my 03 DWG. It was not dificult but a few things might help. First, you should not have to cut the wires as mine had a cutout around the wires. Just unbolt the 2 fender mount bolts and the turnsignal mount bolt and slide the plate up and out from inbetween the fender and the strut. Be careful not to scratch the paint. Do one side at a time and when you put the bolts back through on the first one...do not tighten them....just leave them loose. Do the other side the same way and then snug the bolts up on both sides evenly so the fender is centered between the struts. Hope this helps.

D

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
OOps..Forgot to mention that you might want to clean up between the rail and the fender before retightening...mine had a lot of road funk in there.

Also Try here for some detachable sideplates

http://www.khromewerks.com/

They have these for 93-03 dynas and I have just ordered a set from my local Tucker Rocky rep...Should have them next week and I can give you an update then on quality, fit, finish, etc.

Good luck

D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts