V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally got to posting two months after getting my new Street Bob. I have been so busy racking up 2K miles and having a blast that i have not had much computer time. Here is a pic:

Anyways the bike is too quiet and I wong get a set of Screaming Eagle IIs until Christmas. I have removed the mufflers to try and drill out the baffles. I have no idea what i am doing.

First, what will happen if I run the bike with no mufflers? Engine Damage?

Secondly, if i want to drill out the baffles, I presume that i just stick a long drill bit down them and drill them out? What size hole do I put through them to still have correct back pressure?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have not tried drilling the stock pipes on my 06 wideglide but I have been told by more then 1 that they are not like years before and when they tried they looked like crap. If you do a search in the Dyna forum on this site lots of info. I have the SE pro II + on mine and is night and day difference. Very nice bike you have there.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
If you take a flashlight and look up inside the mufflers, you'll see there is a blockage about halfway down. The baffles appeared to be welded into the pipe on my '06 DWG, so I am guessing they are not removable. I have heard some guys talk about drilling out the blockage, but you'd need a very long drill bit. Got no idea what it would sound like. If you watch Ebay, you can pick up some SEIIs for right around $100. If you run the bike with no mufflers, you'll create an extremely lean condition and it will harm the motor. If you drill the stock pipes, then have a warranty issue, HD will void the warranty on the powertrain. If you want to experiment with drilling, pick up a set of stock Dyna mufflers on Ebay for about $50, so you can keep your original ones for anytime the bike goes in the dealership.

I ran my bike with the SEIIs, stock air filter and stock EFI for a couple of weeks. It ran fine, didn't pop and didn't run lean. I wasn't real happy with the sound I was getting out of the SEIIs though. Sounded great at idle and just off idle. After that it got real ratty sounding... just a harsh statacco sound at throttle. Today I had the stage I download done at the dealer, and man, what a huge difference. Bike has a lot more power and the pipes sound 200x better now. It pretty much sounds like a Harley should.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I drilled mine on my street bob... and I would suggest to buy the SE!! :D

Sound is not bad... but SE is definitely better!! :thumbsup:

If you're not going to remap you'd better make a little hole, around 0.5/0.6 in.

Anyway, there's people that runs free flow mufflers without any remap. I wouldn't do that.

ciao...

F

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you just spent $13500+ for a motorsickle. Go buy a set of pipes and do it right.

BTW, Nice looking ride! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Looks good!

Being that Christmas is less than two months away, why spend time and effort for something that will have only a very short life (i.e. stock mufflers). The upside is limited and the downside is that the temporary mods you make will turn out very badly.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
You can do what you want with the exhaust, the engine won't run lean until you change the stock air cleaner to a K&N or Screamin' Eagle. Then you need either a ECM download from the dealer, or a fuel modifier, such as a DFO, PCIII, or you can go all the way with a SE Race Tuner that flashes the ECM, to reverse the lean condition. But, don't waste your money on slip-ons, go out and get new pipes from V&H, or the like. I wonder how many SEII slip-ons are laying around in garages? The best sounding slip-ons I've heard were Cycle Shacks, but at some time you will get new pipes, as just about everyone does, so save the $100-200 bucks.

Thorns

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thorns said:
The best sounding slip-ons I've heard were Cycle Shacks, but at some time you will get new pipes, as just about everyone does, so save the $100-200 bucks.
Cycle shack is the producer of all the screamin eagle and harley davidson exhaust... so cycle shacks are basically the same as HD and SE

ciao...

F

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Pippeis said:
Cycle shack is the producer of all the screamin eagle and harley davidson exhaust... so cycle shacks are basically the same as HD and SE

ciao...

F
I was told that cycle shack no longer makes SE. discoloring will be visible with cycle shacks.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
brownjams said:
I was told that cycle shack no longer makes SE. discoloring will be visible with cycle shacks.
I ran CS on my 04 WG for almost a year and never had discolorization problems. CS makes a very good product for the money, the chrome was great and they looked good too. I lost my bike (04 WG) in the Katrina flood, just picked up an 05 WG and will do the stage I with the same CS slip-on's.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Thorns said:
You can do what you want with the exhaust, the engine won't run lean until you change the stock air cleaner to a K&N or Screamin' Eagle. Then you need either a ECM download from the dealer, or a fuel modifier, such as a DFO, PCIII, or you can go all the way with a SE Race Tuner that flashes the ECM, to reverse the lean condition. But, don't waste your money on slip-ons, go out and get new pipes from V&H, or the like. I wonder how many SEII slip-ons are laying around in garages? The best sounding slip-ons I've heard were Cycle Shacks, but at some time you will get new pipes, as just about everyone does, so save the $100-200 bucks.

Thorns

He can't get any V&H, or the like, because no one is making pipes for the '06 models yet. VH is advertising a release date of Jan '06, but rumor has it that it could be April. He might even need the download to run slipons, but he for sure will need it (or something else) if he changes the entire exhaust out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have SE II's and Stage 1 on my 05 Fat Boy, have 2000 miles, and starting to see a little yellow orange discolor close to where slip on connects. They sound great while idle, and take off, but I do agree, I think eventually 75 percent of people change out everything. I am going to go with V & H Big Shots stags in spring,

A Question, this kind of color, am I running to lean??

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Markfatboy05 said:
I have SE II's and Stage 1 on my 05 Fat Boy, have 2000 miles, and starting to see a little yellow orange discolor close to where slip on connects. They sound great while idle, and take off, but I do agree, I think eventually 75 percent of people change out everything. I am going to go with V & H Big Shots stags in spring,

A Question, this kind of color, am I running to lean??

I don't think I'd worry much about the color of the pipes that far down. How does the bike run? Does it pop when you let off the throttle? How do your plugs look? Does it run hot? You have the Stage I download? If so, it probably is running a little bit lean, but if it seems to be running good, you should be okay. I'm planning on upgrading to the VH when they come out for the '06 Dynas. I have the stage I download, but when I get the new pipes I'm gonna spring for a SERT and a dyno tune.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
brownjams said:

You're right, Kerker makes them now.

If I recall correctly, Kerker was just acquired by Supertrapp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts