V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to chrome the lower for tubes on my fatboy this winter, I want to do the labor myself, I am pretty handy with a manul. Does anybody know the diffculty level of this? Also how about Swing Arm removel....

Any special tools needed for these projects?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not hard at all if you have the manual. As far as special tools for the forks, if I remember correctly; a lift, and long allen head wrench about 2" long to get to the lower left slider/damper tube bolt out. The right bolt is more accessible because of the split axle cap. I had to cut an L-shaped allen wrench and use it in my impact wrench. Oh yeah...and I ran them over to a friends shop to use an air impact wrench on these two bolts.
And last, you will need a fork seal driver. Since I've done it I've read some great tips on using a split "PVC" pipe to act as a driver. Somebody on this forum will hopefully give you the details on that.

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, I have a manual on order thanks again..bob

How about the swingarm?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to see that you asked this question Bjack. I bought a brand new set of chrome lowers at a tent sale for $60. Then I talked to a local shop who wanted at least $200 to put them on, so I decided that changing them out myself would be a good wintertime project. I even thought about having the rims turned down while the wheel is off the bike, but I'm not sure if I want to fork out the cash or not.

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my rims polished, looks very good, I will buy them lowers from ya for 100.00... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bjack said:
I was hoping to chrome the lower for tubes on my fatboy this winter, I want to do the labor myself, I am pretty handy with a manul. Does anybody know the diffculty level of this? Also how about Swing Arm removel....

Any special tools needed for these projects?
Go for it Bjack,I did mine on a 02 heritage ,took 2nights couple hours each,heres a few suggestions,get yourself a liquid measuring cup that reads in ounces,($1.29 groecery store item} for the fork oil refill,soft cotton towel to put around the fender ta keep from scratchen it,pvc pipe split down the middle works fine for the seal install,(does not drive in that hard)
would be great time to replace the beer can dust shields with chrome ones.just follow the manual & have a good time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts