V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find this problem addressed. If I missed it, my apologies.

I asked at the dealer about how to remove this cover for cleaning. Already lots of dust and water has clouded it. They weren't sure so we looked it up in the service manual which says I have to remove the outer fairing. Is this true? One of the guys thought that on older RG's you could pinch it down and release it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the fairing has to be removed I am considering getting an Illumabezel.

Any thoughts? :huh:

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
There are two tabs on the bottom of the headlight cover, (at least that is where I remember them being), that you just have to lift up a little with a thin blade screw driver to get them over the lip of the fairing and then it comes right out.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Yes,,, there are snap in tabs at the top and bottom of cover.

Use caution if it is cold so you you don't break off the tabs.

Just slip a flat edge under cover and gently lift it off.

Wipe clean and re-install. It is a pain sometimes to always have to wipe water spots off the inside of cover after washing the bike but it serves its purpose aerodynamically.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
On mine I did not need to use any pry devise, with a dry hand I just lifted up from the bottom and the lense cover flexes a bit to get the two bottom tabs out of their holes on the bottom then pull down to get the two top tabs out of the holes on the top. Worked this way on the '02 and on my '06.

·
ALK
321 Posts
I totally agree with Road Glider's approach.

I removed the lens cowl on my '04 RG with a flat screwdriver the first time and put a little ding in the fairing. It's not noticable, but I know it's there... learning by other's valued experience from this forum is the only way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
alk said:
I totally agree with Road Glider's approach.

I removed the lens cowl on my '04 RG with a flat screwdriver the first time and put a little ding in the fairing. It's not noticable, but I know it's there... learning by other's valued experience from this forum is the only way to go.
Been there...did the same thing except I stopped after the "ding."
Now I know that it can be done!
?prty:

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned my cover last night. The bottom popped out very easily by pulling up as Road Glider described. I had a little more trouble with the top and had to use a flat screwdriver to pry it down just a bit.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My 1999 RG was a bitch to get off from the outside, I broke one tab trying...:dry:

Now my 03 comes off easy. I use a nylon detail tool I found lying around to avoid chipping the paint...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts