V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How coplicated is this process going to be? My biggest concern is the electrical in the front and rear fenders. I have a 99 FLHR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get a service manual for you bike. It will describe in step by step detail how to remove each item. I have removed most painted items and put them back using the manual.

·
banal
486 Posts
Me too (with help from a friend). I would decribe it as maybe not so complicated - the electronics were pretty simple - but don't get in a hurry. Overall I found it to be a royal pain the butt. Also I would recommend getting a new set of screws for the fuel tank and throwing the old ones away. I have heard them described as "one time us only" fasteners. While I'm not sure about that, trying to reuse them was a real hassle. Finally I just got new ones, and they were less than $10 for the whole set.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
It is relatively easy. The on the rear, everything will unplug. On the front, the tip light wiring's plug is too big to go thru the hole in the fender. It is easier to cut and splice than try to pick out the pin connectors, IMO.

Be sure to get you a supply of zip lock bags and a Sharpie pen. Bag and tag all fasteners to make reassembly simplier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts