V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ketsu, Japanese for a$$
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think I can do any job as long as I have a tech manual and the right tools. This winter, I plan on removing the engine and transmission (’02 FXSTD). So I’m looking at the service manual and the parts catalog to get an idea of what is involved, what tools I’ll have to buy (which is the best part) and look for areas I might have a problem. On page 3-24 of the service manual are the instructions and step 19 has got me confused.
19. Remove the pivot shaft, moving the electrical panel out …
The thing is I can’t find the pivot shaft. I’ve noticed Harley doesn’t always use the same term for parts. I searched in the engine, drive and transmission sections of the service manual with no luck. The parts manual didn’t help either. Where is it?
If there is any thing else I should know that isn’t in the tech data please let me know.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Without a manual to look at and not knowing any more than what you typed, I would guess it is the shaft that goes through the swingarm, transmission and the frame. The swingarm pivots on it.

That would be my guess

·
Ketsu, Japanese for a$$
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that term before, but why would the rear swing arm need to be removed and how does the electronics get in the way of the swing arm.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Sgt Ketsu said:
I've seen that term before, but why would the rear swing arm need to be removed and how does the electronics get in the way of the swing arm.
The swing arm pivot goes through the frame, swing arm and transmission case. And the electronic mount in that area also.

You can see in the picture below the transmission case and swingarm are mounted to the frame with the pivot bolt. This is not a conventional softail build but it does use stock engine and tranny case and mounts.

You can see the whole bike build at this link http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56026

·
Ketsu, Japanese for a$$
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for the pic. It really helped. Is it just me or are the tech manuals vauge sometimes? It's probably me.

·
Ketsu, Japanese for a$$
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts