V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering taking off the HD emblem on my Street Bob. I've read how folks generally remove them, however, I believe these folks have traditional painted tanks. I'm not sure how the adhesive removing sprays will react with the Denim paint. Anyone done this yet?

Whiff

·
Banned
154 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
I'm considering taking off the HD emblem on my Street Bob. I've read how folks generally remove them, however, I believe these folks have traditional painted tanks. I'm not sure how the adhesive removing sprays will react with the Denim paint. Anyone done this yet?

Whiff
Just this past weekend I took the reflectors off. I used nothing more then a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive. Then I pulled the reflector off. The sticky pad was still on there, but I continued with the heat and rolled it off. I did manage to get all the adhesive off with no chemicals. But then again I had a clearcoat under the adhesive.

Since you can clean that paint with glass cleaner, I would imagine that the above technique would work for you also, then any remnants you can't rub off with your fingers you could clean off with the glass cleaner.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I took mine off a month ago. I didn't need any chemicals I just pulled it off slowly. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low if it doesn’t want to come off. I had t o use a heat gun to get the reflectors off. The tank emblems came off much easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I take emblems off as mentioned in prior post. I prefer a heat gun on low but you must keep it moving and DO NOT let it get to hot as they are used to remove paint. Let the heat work for you prying up at a corner to start. Leftover adhesive will ball up with a little heat and carefull rubbing. 3M adhesive remover or a little gas will take off the rest of the adhesive residue if needed. 3M glazing compound or like works well to finish it off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sheen should be the same under the emblem unless it's had lots of uv exposure. You can always put the emblem back on or clearcoat if it looks funky. Only one way to find out.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
use dental floss to slowly saw through the adhesive. Yes it will break a few times (the floss) but it is a nice safe way to remove an adheasive backed emblem. Then hit the remaining adhesive with a product such as Goo Gone!

Then a squirt of Windex and your good to go! Heat will make a bigger mess to remove.

·
Faithful to the bottle
495 Posts
rickr01 said:
use dental floss to slowly saw through the adhesive. Yes it will break a few times (the floss) but it is a nice safe way to remove an adheasive backed emblem. Then hit the remaining adhesive with a product such as Goo Gone!

Then a squirt of Windex and your good to go! Heat will make a bigger mess to remove.
I agree, however Id test the goo gone on a spot, on the paint that you cant see to well first, with the flat color would be suspecting that it may leave a oily spot on the paint. That also leads me to say use a floss that is non waxed as well. Mabey even twine insted of floss, floss works great but try and get wax out of flat paint....ummm no:blink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
use fishing nylon wire

THEStinger said:
I agree, however Id test the goo gone on a spot, on the paint that you cant see to well first, with the flat color would be suspecting that it may leave a oily spot on the paint. That also leads me to say use a floss that is non waxed as well. Mabey even twine insted of floss, floss works great but try and get wax out of flat paint....ummm no:blink:

i would suggest instead of floos to use nylon fishing wire.
the smallest diameter you can find.
it is stronger and defenitlly not waxed -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
We used dental floss and Goo Gone on a demin bike already. Then spray with windex. no oily stain at all! Just don't rub the he11 out of it work GENTLY!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts