V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was on step 2b of the Tundermax installation guide when something went wrong. I am removing the stock ECM, the bottom bolt came out just fine, the top bolt made a slight crack noise when I went to turn it and now it feels like the entire part of the upper bolt is turning inside the plastic caddy. Does that make sense? Any idea of how to get this out? Can I remove the entire electrical caddy and get it out somehow? Should I get a drill out? I can't believe I haven't even gotten to step 3 and I have a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Happenes quite often. The insert (nut) for that bolt is installed in the plastic and is indeed spinning as you guessed. For some reason it is usually the top bolt (corrosion?). You may have to dissassemble to get a grip on the insert but I feel the best thing now would be to drill the head of the allen bolt off, then you can remove the ECM. Be aware that the bolt will want to spin while drilling, you'll need to put a side load on the bolt, pulling (easy) on the ECM to load the bolt should help, go slow and let the (sharp) bit do the work and it should work. Be patient.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I am not the only person this has happend to, that makes me feel a little better. I will give the drill a try and see what I can screw up next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts