V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys...I know this topic has been touch on before but I want to hear it from the experts.

I personally love loud exhaust. May not be your cup of tea but its mine. I bought a Harley to be loud...Unbelievable isn't it? Anyways.....

I do have a 2008 Cross Bones with an EFI and V&H big radius pipes. I have a Race Tuner and a Stage I download. I just finished the 1000 mile break in and am ready to take it down to the HD dealer and have it dynoed and tuned. The catch is I want the baffles out. Sounds nice but then again, I like my scoot loud. :sofa: (sorry guys) Don't worry...Neighbors all love me so this isn't a factor.

With this said, my questions are below....

If I remove the baffles,:
  • Will they be able to tune the bike properly on the Dyno?
  • Will I notice a considerable loss in performance? Not just a little low in torque loss but considerable amounts of power loss?
  • Will this effect my MPG?
  • Will the bike have a tendency to hesitate, etc?

Any honest and realistic insight would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dave,

I used to run VH BSS without baffles. There is no question you will lose power, esp at the low end. How much is really determined by engine setup, pipes, etc.. The dyno will also be affected, as well as your mpg.

In order to compensate, I used Thunder Monsters from Big City Thunder. Maintains the loud sound you want, but also retains the backpressure that is needed for performance. They have one specifically for the VH Big Radius. I would recommend trying these. Approx $80. There are 1 or 2 members of this formum who may think differently, but the majority of the members who have used them have stated a noticible improvement in using them vs running straight pipes. I know I did. Because of my engine upgrade, I switched to a 2-1, but i miss the sound of my VH.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did not notice any drop in mpg using the Monsters vs stock baffles, but did notice an increase (2-3 mpg) vs straight pipes. Of course, I had the bike dyno'd everytime I changed out my baffles, so im sure if you get a good dyno guy, your mpg will be optimal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont know if this will help but here goes I started out with hi comp pistons ported heads se 251 cams on a 01 fatboy dynoed at 104 hp 109 tq with samson ground pounder's and they are loud my intown performance wasnt that good and I was told by several dyno people that I could get 10 hp out of a 2-1 so i bought the super trapp well my hp went to 100 and tq 103 quick off the line nothing after 3rd gear so i put the gps back on got sound i wanted and i produced better times at the drag strip so for me, oh and my wife likes the ground pounders sound forget the 2-1 and go for the sound I hope this will help you

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nova, you have Big Radius and they're not loud enough? I rode behind a guy with those things, and they were loud as hell. Baffles were in, too.

Heck with taking the baffles out, get a hearing aid! #[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Perhaps you could trying being a decent human being, and NOT make your bike uber loud? The people who live around you have families, jobs, and lives, just like you. Perhaps they should have the freedom to enjoy their lives without having your bike rattle the pictures on their walls? I've been plotting for weeks about how I'm going to get revenge on my neighbor for his insanely loud bike. The things I'm considering might be overkill, but that's the risk you take by intentionally pissing-off everyone around you. Besides, are you really THAT desperate for attention? "Look at me!!! My bike is loud!! Please look at me... whaaaaaaaa." Don't be that guy. Have some self-esteem that doesn't come from your bike. If you want people to pay attention to you, then do something awesome... Don't just make your bike extra loud. That veteran, fireman, disabled person, infant, etc. who lives next to you deserves their rest. Don't be a tool. We call our neighbor's bike the "Over-Compensator 3000".

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Perhaps you could trying being a decent human being, and NOT make your bike uber loud? The people who live around you have families, jobs, and lives, just like you. Perhaps they should have the freedom to enjoy their lives without having your bike rattle the pictures on their walls? I've been plotting for weeks about how I'm going to get revenge on my neighbor for his insanely loud bike. The things I'm considering might be overkill, but that's the risk you take by intentionally pissing-off everyone around you. Besides, are you really THAT desperate for attention? "Look at me!!! My bike is loud!! Please look at me... whaaaaaaaa." Don't be that guy. Have some self-esteem that doesn't come from your bike. If you want people to pay attention to you, then do something awesome... Don't just make your bike extra loud. That veteran, fireman, disabled person, infant, etc. who lives next to you deserves their rest. Don't be a tool. We call our neighbor's bike the "Over-Compensator 3000".
Got to be a new record. An eight year old thread brought to life just to bitch about loud pipes!

Did you try talking to your neighbor? Or, is crying on the interweb your first course of action!

Be careful with what you're considering as retaliation. It may cause retaliation!!

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
Got to be a new record. An eight year old thread brought to life just to bitch about loud pipes!

Did you try talking to your neighbor? Or, is crying on the interweb your first course of action!

Be careful with what you're considering as retaliation. It may cause retaliation!!
Plus it's his first post :redrolf:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts

I think he will have to work a little harder. Only 8 years. lol,,,, I've seen way better then that. The interesting thing is it is his first post. Glad I'm not his neighbor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea you go ahead and hide behind your little screen, plot your revenge, walk out front with your little tree hugging , rainbow warrior pride flag, waaaaa waaaa Hillary lost sign, screaming I'm a entitled liberal, government handout, refugee-loving spoiled brat and how dare you have loud pipes to avoid being hit by useless drivers trying to text while driving and polluting my air with your loud pipes in my neighborhood!!!!!! See how that works out for ya buddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea you go ahead and hide behind your little screen, plot your revenge, walk out front with your little tree hugging , rainbow warrior pride flag, waaaaa waaaa Hillary lost sign, screaming I'm a entitled liberal, government handout, refugee-loving spoiled brat and how dare you have loud pipes to avoid being hit by useless drivers trying to text while driving and polluting my air with your loud pipes in my neighborhood!!!!!! See how that works out for ya buddy
Well said. I'd rather be heard than hit or ran over!

·
Registered
203 Posts
If the pipes hurt your won ears, they just might be to loud! Be like the boom boom stereo guys, and put a 5" can on your 2 into1 header, go for that low bass!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts