V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how involved it is to remove the heads on 883 I have a broken exhaust stud on the front head back stud cant get at it thought the easiest way would be to remove the head to replace stud not sure if it's alot of work this way.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really hard to do as long as you have a little mechanical ability.. Depending on the model you will have to remove tanks; carburator; intake; coil; horn; rocker covers; rocker assy; pushrods and then the heads, or at least that is most of it. If you have a manual it will walk you through it piece by peice. I would say for the average weekend wrecher. It would take you about 2 hrs off and 1.5 back on...make sure you clean all your bolts and bolt holes once you remove the top cover to ensure the right torque is applied to the bolts so you will not have leaks.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Deluxe said:
Can anyone tell me how involved it is to remove the heads on 883 I have a broken exhaust stud on the front head back stud cant get at it thought the easiest way would be to remove the head to replace stud not sure if it's alot of work this way.

Dave
Not hard at all. If you can fix a lawnmower, you can fix a Harley. Just follow the factory service manual (NOT a Clymer!).

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Very easy. The hardest part is getting to the back bolt in the top of the rocker box on the back jug. I had to make a tool to take out the bolt. Basically what I did was just take a allen head bit and cut it down with a dremmal (sp?) tool and use a small wrench to get the bolts out. The sportster is very close on the rear. The front was easy.

And I agree with Todd. Use the factory service manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts