V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to remove the standard Harley metal tank emblems from my 02 Road King Classic so that I might replace them with a set of nostalgic emblems. Has anyone successfully removed these without damaging the tank or paint, and how did you do so?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Miken, I have an '02 FLHRCI, first thing I did was take all the emblems off! Use dental floss (try "Glide"- Gore-Tex floss, yes I'm a dentist). This leaves some adhesive, but 3-M adhesive remover works well if you take your time. Careful not to rub too hard, be patient when removing the adhesive. I had to use some swirl remover and polish the tank, but now there is no way to tell it had emblems on it. I have also heard of people using a heat gun to remove the emblems and adhesive, but I have not done this. I am a little leary of using a heat gun on a gas tank (!). Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mike, I used a heat gun to remove the emblems from my car, also to remove the reflectors and labels on my 02 classic (on crash bars, gas cap, etal). I wouldn't see how you get a gas tank hot enough to worry, but, dental floss idea is unique. I like the idea, i'll probably try it myself. Let us know how it works, assuming you try. Worst case, I suppose you by new ones and put them back on.
greg

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I use the heat gun all the time too. Doesn't have to get really hot, just warm it up a little. Use the remover for anything left over, and wax it all out. I've pulled reflecters and do vinyl graphics every year, and haven't screwed anyting up yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Miken, I have also had fine monofilament fishing line recommended for "sawing" off the emblems. I've taken emblems off my RK, my VTX and cars with the floss. It breaks plenty, but it's cheap. Get the NO WAX type. Less leftover.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
jameszr1 said:
I've got a sil/blk 03 classic and you just KNOW I'm not touching my
badging! :) James

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2003 Road King and have the opposite problem. The emblems on the gas tank seem to be coming off. They are stuck on with glue that seems to be loosing up. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem??? You pay 20g's for a bike and Harley can not get the emblems to stay on...

·
Registered
60 Posts
A hair dryer works great too. After the emblem comes off, you can reheat the adhesive a little, then start rolling it from one end, back on itself. The bigger the glue ball gets, the more glue it pulls off. A quick wipe with W-D 40 will remove any additional residue. Finish it off with a shot of wax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts