V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bolt that holds my right floorboard mount on broke off yesterday, removed everthing so I can get to it, question is how do i go about backing the the broken bolt out, I'm assuming I need to drill and tap it, but would need to use lefthanded threads to back it out, I've got everthing but a tap set, if I'm not right someone let me know, or just let me know how to do this, I need to fix it tonight, going on a ride tomorrow, don't have time to take it to a shop and let it set till next week. Thanks.

Mongo

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Straydog

I'll run down to the hardware store an get me a lefthanded drill bit and one of these easy outs thats mentioned as I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll need one.

Mongo

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easyout

I went an picked up an easy out from the hardware store at lunch, what do you put it in, your drill, I forgot to ask, but from looking at it I assume you mount it in a drill. thanks

Mongo

·
Registered
515 Posts
Drill a small starter hole for the easy out. Try a left handed drill bit 1st. It may just back it out for you with out using the easy out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dont put the easyout in anything. Just tap it into the hole you drill lightly with a hammer, then turn it by hand with a crescent wrench in the same direction as you would to loosen the bolt. :)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Fugly said:
Dont put the easyout in anything. Just tap it into the hole you drill lightly with a hammer, then turn it by hand with a crescent wrench in the same direction as you would to loosen the bolt. :)

Good advice.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Also it would be a good idea to let a liquid penetrant to soak in a bit. There is a reason the bolt sheared.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pic

Hey Twincamzz, you got a bigger pic of the picture you got there of the kid, thats great. Don't know if it ever met the pavement, maybe just to many fatass's standing up on the boards over the years who knows, the bikes an 1988 and every once in awhile I have to fix something but she runs good a so far she's been real dependable, its just the little things that I keep chasing, at this point I don't think theres a bolt on it that I haven't loctited I use a lot of that stuff. If you got a bigger version of the pic could you email it to me, thanks

Mongo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts