V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting a detachable rack on my tourpak for my 05 Ultra. I once did this for a Road King and loved the convienience. However, I never used the tourpak too much on the RK. I do like to take some longer trips with the EG, and load the tourpak down pretty good. I was just wonding if anyone has any pros or cons to this idea? Also, how strong the detachable rack is weighted down to the max weight limit? Thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think its 25lbs. I got one on my FLHR. Only draw back to detachable is can squeek. Also the kit is not the prettiest thing.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...no problem with mine and I exceed 25lbs, no squeaks or rattles. The only con someone might have is the wiring and antennas. I don't used the headphones/talk/CB feature so no biggie. My antenna is the Dakota Digital (fair reception) under the fairing, and I used deutsch connectors for the wiring.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I have the detachable rack on my Road King and usually run it in the solo position so I use the backrest on the tour pak. Then when my wife or son ride with me, I can switch it to the normal 2-up position and add the pass. pillion and everything is good. I don't seem to have any squeeks or rattles in mine that I can hear.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet and bought and installed the detachable rack today. It's not a very easy one-man job to put the tourpak on. I have to bend the tabs a bit to make the fit. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all of the wires. They are stuffed under the seat right now. I'm going to eventually get an antenna to put inside the fairing and I never use the CB or interphone. I'm looking for any ideas to make the lights and speakers easy to attach. I have a corbin seat that makes the seat bolt hard to reach when the tourpak is on, so I have to have the seat on first.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I was going to do something similar to my 06 Ultra that I'm picking up in two days.... wanted to be able to switch the tour pack with a back rest and change the fairing screen to the low profile one... convert to a 'street-glide' look when I'm just bar hopping around town.

But my Harley sales guy recommended against it.. he said that even with the detachable kit installed, it's not a small effort to remove and replace an Ultra tour pak and the wiring involved... it'd be easier on a Classic, but not the Ultra. I also talked to another Ultra owner I know who did this, and he said that after detaching the tour pak a few times, he just left it on all the time.. was too much work to do.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Trumpeter,
They are full of crap! I have an Ultra and once you configure the quick disconnects, its the same amount of work time to do the Ultra as the Classic.

That's from experience, not guess. I use my Ultra as a daily ride (when weather is cooperating) and I can go from solo to full tour in less than 15 minutes.

That is removing the fast back seat, putting on the two-up tourer and the pac. Granted, I don't run the CB, but configured properly, I doubt if that would add more than a couple minutes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hogg831,

What do you do with all of your speaker, interphone, and lighting wires with the tourpak off? Thanks

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I hear it at idle and slow. V&H classics with baffles mostly gone.

What you really need to ask your self is why. Do you think your Ultra is going to be sporty, after you do this? Some people need to face facts.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
berserker said:
I hear it at idle and slow. V&H classics with baffles mostly gone.

What you really need to ask your self is why. Do you think your Ultra is going to be sporty, after you do this? Some people need to face facts.
Maybe its from laying your bike down a couple times a year:)

Why did you add the detach pack? I've seen some incredibly sporty custom ultras around these parts lately

·
Registered
279 Posts
Trumpeter said:
I was going to do something similar to my 06 Ultra that I'm picking up in two days.... wanted to be able to switch the tour pack with a back rest and change the fairing screen to the low profile one... convert to a 'street-glide' look when I'm just bar hopping around town.

But my Harley sales guy recommended against it.. he said that even with the detachable kit installed, it's not a small effort to remove and replace an Ultra tour pak and the wiring involved... it'd be easier on a Classic, but not the Ultra. I also talked to another Ultra owner I know who did this, and he said that after detaching the tour pak a few times, he just left it on all the time.. was too much work to do.
Yup, I have to agree. PIA!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know how easy or difficult it is to take off or install. I have an 05 Ultra. I bought it to take trips. If I want a different look I ride my heritage. My tour pak is as it came from the factory. I don't want it to be removable.

If I can remove it in a few minutes so can everyone else. I have been to runs and I see everyone carry in to the hotel all their detachable equipment--windshield, backrests etc.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
362 Posts
I installed the quick detachable mounts on my 99 softtail. Installed a used Ultra tour pack. Then bought the Radio. Ran the antenna back to the tour pack, terminated the cable in a “BNC” connector. (a rubber boot was added for this BNC connector, they should be available where you by the BNC’s). The antenna cable inside the tour pack was terminated in a “bulkhead BNC” (also covers are available for these as well) These BNC’s will also work for the CB antenna cables. I located these next to the existing wiring hole. I added a “6 wire, water proof trailer connector” for the lights, and speaker wires (don’t forget a Ground wire.)
When I had the tour pack off I would “VELCRO” (cable ties from Radio Shack) the cables between the saddlebags and finder strut. With any Ultra, or bike with saddlebags, the wires can be laid / tied between the saddlebags and finder strut, or a notch cut in the “fiberglass / plastic” saddlebag for the wires to lie in (so the lid will close), or put them under the seat or side cover.

This is how I did it.
Kenny

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Blusideupp said:
Hogg831,

What do you do with all of your speaker, interphone, and lighting wires with the tourpak off? Thanks
Speaker lighting wires are stashed under the seat. As I said before, I don't use the intercom, CB or weatherband....those have been rolled and stashed in the tray just forward of the battery.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
berserker said:
I am still trying to figure out what you are saying or asking! Let's face facts according to Frank (and many others who've done this).

The Ultra with the Tour Pac mount can be a top heavy lousy ride in a daily commute. That same Tour Pac is not even thought of much when mounted and cruzin along the highway or open country road.

Sporty??? No.....but it makes sense to do what is required to make the Ultra as functional in the daily commute as the Road King or Standard. The idea that its a pain in the azz is crazy! Take that stock screw out of the seat mount and put in a thumb screw (unless your hands are the size of a football) makes for taking that seat off in less than 2 minutes.

Using deutsch connectors (JEG's or any shop dealing in electrics), you can create watertight quick disconnects for the lights and speakers. Alittle imagination and Radio Shack and you can create the same for the antenna.

When we decided to use the money for a second bike, and invest it into something that pays in the long run, short of a stock market crash.

Then I say we have faced the facts.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Trumpeter said:
I also talked to another Ultra owner I know who did this, and he said that after detaching the tour pak a few times, he just left it on all the time.. was too much work to do.
That Ultra owner is either a small puss who can't lift the thing, or he's just a lazy a$$. Takes 10 min. tops if you have it set up right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts