V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since I changed out the sliders for chrome and since the inspection sticker was on the old slider, I used a blow dryer and peeled it off. Came off pretty easily once warm enough, but now there isn't enough adhesive to stick it back. I'm putting it on the frame this time, but need some sort of adhesive that won't stick it forever or take the paint off.

Dealer says they'll put a new one on for me if I pay the inspection fee, but why would I want to do that if the sticker I have now is good to the end of July? I'll just stick the same one back on.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Get some spray on adhesive like 3M Pro 77. The frame is powder coated and the adhesive won't hurt it. You can take it off later with Goo Gone without harming the finish on your frame. Make sure to clean the frame before you apply the sticker with alchohol. You can buy the adhesive at Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
8-Ball said:
Get some spray on adhesive like 3M Pro 77. The frame is powder coated and the adhesive won't hurt it. You can take it off later with Goo Gone without harming the finish on your frame. Make sure to clean the frame before you apply the sticker with alchohol. You can buy the adhesive at Home Depot or Lowes.
Use packaging tape over it. If it comes undone before its time, do it again. Then clean it up when its time for the new sticker.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8-Ball said:
I was thinking that, but never used it on painted services before.

I guess it would have to be Lowes. I've boycotted Home Depot since they told me I can't bring my dog in anymore.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Mine stays in my wallet with the registration. And yes, I got a chain on my wallet so I don't lose it.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Mine rides inside my saddlebag. It's still on the stock stick aluminum mount, I bent it al little so it will hang out the back of the bag from under the lid if I'm feeling like a target....:beer4u:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, looking back on my years spent in Louisiana I would say they aren't as eager to steal your money with BS violations like they are in NY. If I recall, you had to mess up pretty bad to get a ticket or even arrested. Around here they'll ticket you for not having the registration and inspection stickers in the 'correct order' on your car windshield.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Just put it in your wallet, and if you get stopped, tell the truth. The cop will understand.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
jrehm said:
Yep, I bet he will.
If everything else was right I prolly would have let an unattached sticker go. The problem with unattached stickers was that we couldn't match a sticker with a bike unless the receipt was present. I always carried my inspection receipt for both cars and bikes with my insurance.

I'm not sure about Texas, but in Oklahoma, a replacement sticker (without a new inspection) would have been $5 with the receipt. It was illegal to re-use a sticker. I don't know a thing about NY law.

T113

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably illegal here to use the same one also, but I was able to get it off the old slider with no damage at all, so I'm guessing someone would be hard pressed to tell unless it looked obvious it was reglued. Besides, I could always argue it was coming off so I put a little adhesive on it.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
How do I replace an inspection sticker?

If the sticker did not remain attached to your windshield, you can attach the sticker to the windshield again with clear tape or a small amount of clear adhesive. Remember that an inspection station must be able to remove the sticker during your next inspection.

If your sticker is not usable or you do not have the original inspection sticker, you can have your vehicle re-inspected or you can follow the instructions below.

Send a request for replacement to the DMV, indicate the reason for the replacement, and include either a copy of your inspection receipt OR the following information:

the serial number of the original inspection sticker, if available, and
the year and make of the vehicle, and
the vehicle plate number, and
the odometer reading at the time of the last inspection, and
the date of the last inspection, and
your daytime phone number.
Note: If you request this information from the original inspection station the inspection station can charge you $2 for this service.

The fee for the replacement is $2. Send the required items and a personal check or money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" to:

Bureau of Consumer and Facility Services
Division of Vehicle Safety Services
NYSDMV
P.O. Box 2700-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0700

This is from the NY State site. Just put some clear packing tape over it or 3M spray adheasive and let it go at that. Or just pay the $2 replacement fee and get a new sticker.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm leaning toward the tape or glue. Any idea where it can and can't go on the frame? I seem to remember seeing them on the downtube on the left side. Couldn't find anything on the DMV site about locations on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I know it sucks but the right placement of the sticker is where u took it off. I have seen them on the frame but an LEO who is on a mission could write u up for it and the issueing ins station could get in trouble traced by the serial # on the sticker. Maroney's got in trouble big time about 2 years ago by putting them on Inspection plates and not the bike reason being the plate can be unbolted and placed on another bike. Believe it was 10k fine so needless to say they always put them on the slider.

Mine is on my Springer fork looks like dick and only about 20% of the sticker is visable because its wrapped around the fork...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I'll call Moroney's and see where they put them. Last week they said they would put it on the frame if I brought it to them, but didn't mention where. Maybe they're playing the odds. I know the AF used to give me crap all the time about putting my base stickers on a plate.

·
Sportster Aficionado
60 Posts
8-Ball said:

Just be careful that you don't get a $ 9.99 adhesive to avoid
paying for a $ 7.00 inspection.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mrjim said:
Just be careful that you don't get a $ 9.99 adhesive to avoid
paying for a $ 7.00 inspection.
Know what you mean there, but I can use the adhesive for other stuff anyway. It would actually be more like a$9 inspection though since it was inspected last July, so I just have to shave off that other 99 cents somewhere and I'm good to go. Tax write-off maybe. Stilll working on figuring out how to claim it as a company vehicle. :hmmm:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts