V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 10/29/71 Brother Duane Allman went down on his Harley and crossed to the other side .

And the road goes on forever........

Harleymule
XL1200C
Puget Sound

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
A true inspiration and southern gentleman, master of the slide, his spirit lives on RIP Duane , gone but NOT forgotten.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I had a dream once where I was sitting at a big dinner table and I looked to my left and there was Duane a smilin'. All he said was "hi". Even in my dream it took me off guard but it was still the best dream I've ever had because I feel like I got to meet him. RIP brother.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Nice dream Justin. I wasn't around, when Duane Allman passed. Did a little research and it's a shame unexpected accidents take the life of talented people. They say there's a reason for everything.

On 29 October, in an effort to avoid a collision with a truck, Allman crashed his motor-cycle and died following three hours of intensive surgery. This tragic accident robbed music of one of its exceptional talents whose all-too-brief legacy reveals an individual of rare skill and humility.
RIP Duane...

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Carrie said:
Nice dream Justin. I wasn't around, when Duane Allman passed. Did a little research and it's a shame unexpected accidents take the life of talented people. They say there's a reason for everything.

RIP Duane...

I wasn't around while he was alive either but I grew up on the ABB and I can't hear one of their tunes without getting that warm fuzzy feeling. I've got an allbum called "Duane Allman Anthology". It's the songs of other artists that he played with. And there are a lot of them. I was surprised when I heard these songs that I've known for years but didn't know he played in. Great album and I reccomend it to any ABB fan.

Weird thing about his accident is that he was awake in the hospital and said he felt fine. I think even the doctors said he was going to be ok. Then he left us. Too bad.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Didn’t Barry Oakly (SP) their Bands Base player crash his Harley on Duane’s birthday exactly one year later? Maybe that is just a rock/urban legend or some things. Either way each time I hear Duane’s slide/bending makes me feel the Blues he is playing. R.I.P. Duane
V/R
Chris

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
551 Posts
IronMajor said:
Thanks for the reminder. Didn’t Barry Oakly (SP) their Bands Base player crash his Harley on Duane’s birthday exactly one year later? Maybe that is just a rock/urban legend or some things. Either way each time I hear Duane’s slide/bending makes me feel the Blues he is playing. R.I.P. Duane
V/R
Chris
Raymond Berry Oakley. April, 4 1948 November 11, 1972

·
02BNAVW
89 Posts
Wow - I don't usually view the "In Memeory Of" forum, but this caught my eye. I thought that some of you might like to hear this.

In October of '91, I got invited by an ABC affiliate radio station to go down to Macon, Ga and to sing a candle light memorial gathering at the gravesight on the 20th anniversary of Duanne's passing on. (If any of you were there, it'd be great to hear from you.) They also brought down a killer flat top player from near Nashville and a guy on dobro from somewhere in Kentucky - both were 'sho 'nuff players. I recall that it was just cold enough to see your breath and that there was Peach Schnapps everywhere. It was some kind of experience to stand there in that grave yard, doing this acoustic gig, right there amongst the stones of Elisabeth Reed and the namesake of "Little Matha" ... also the big tomb where they shot the cover of their first album.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Duane rocked, and time sure does fly. The world lost a great guitarist but at least he'll remain young forever in our eyes. Rest in peace, brother

·
Registered
769 Posts
Huck Finn said:
Duane rocked, and time sure does fly. The world lost a great guitarist but at least he'll remain young forever in our eyes. Rest in peace, brother

yup the allman bros were a great band ,,,, With that said ,,, i think i will go get out the flat top and make a few passes though the chords to stormy monday .....its one of my favorite tunes .....face it when you spend the time to learn all them slick +, 9ths and 13th chords ya better like the song ...stormy monday is a guitar players classic blues tune ...I will no doubt run though mary had a little lamb as well in honor of SRV ........ rat

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Very nice post, Ratt. Two thumbs up. So good to meet people who dig, and play, the music.
Cheers, BigR.

·
Registered
769 Posts
bigr said:
Very nice post, Ratt. Two thumbs up. So good to meet people who dig, and play, the music.
Cheers, BigR.

Thanks ,,,,, i always have been a fan of the blues.... i started out as a rock and roll keyboard player in high school.... picked up guitar in college finger pickin a flattop .... now retired at age 54 ,, I went down to the local music store and got hooked up with an instructor ,,, I always was amazed by lead guitar players ... now i are one lol.......rat

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
I'm obviously preaching to the choir, rat, (I can't play anything but my organ) but I likes me a bunch of Sonny Landreth and Ry Cooder. You?

·
Registered
769 Posts
thedog said:
I'm obviously preaching to the choir, rat, (I can't play anything but my organ) but I likes me a bunch of Sonny Landreth and Ry Cooder. You?

To be real honest ,,, i dont buy alot of music and i tend not to listen to it ,,,, when i do i typically just tune in a hot country station ..... today you will find the best lead players in the world playing in country bands ,, the same goes for harmony. This thead is a " in memory of forum" Maybe the mods can move this discussion over to a oh baby its cold out side ,, and its time to jam forum ......due to it looks like the ax grinders need a little space to pursue the topic ....I think i just "saw the ghost of elvis" ...... rat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts