V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are contemplating moving to Az.Some of the cities we are considering are Sedona and Tucson.Phoenix and the surrounding areas have been ruled out due to the oppressive heat.Good weather is the main thing we are looking for.How about some imput from those who live and ride there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Depends first on how warm you want it to be. Phoenix and Tucson definitely warmer than Sedona in the summer; winters much milder, although the winters in Sedona aren't really cold by any means. Small town v. large cities. I am currently in Colorado, and have been spoiled by the number of places to ride there. Much more limited in Arizona, although you can easily ride to other states for some great rides. When you're in Phoenix or Tucson, you will want to ride to Sedona. When you're in Sedona, riding to Phoenix or Tucson isn't that great a deal.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Flafatboy,
Arizona huh? My Ex lives there. I did the fly and ride thing there a few years back. Northern Arizona is very nice, Flagstaff, Sedona etc. Phoenix to me is like a microwave full of cars and dust. Being raised on the east coast it was pretty but foreign to me. I've lived in Philly, Fl, Ga, Va, Al, and europe and the middle east. Now I call NC my home but not for long, Still looking for that "okay this is my home feeling", The only place I have felt that beleive it or not was Alaska, go figure. Good luck with your move.

:coffee:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Phoenix and the surrounding areas have been ruled out due to the oppressive heat.
Then that might rule out Tucson for you. If it's 110 in Phoenix, it's 108 in Tucson. Tucson gets plenty hot during the summer.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
FlaFatBoy said:
My wife and I are contemplating moving to Az.Some of the cities we are considering are Sedona and Tucson.Phoenix and the surrounding areas have been ruled out due to the oppressive heat.Good weather is the main thing we are looking for.How about some imput from those who live and ride there.
Much of your choice will be determined by your employment status and financial situation. You mentioned Sedona, and someone else mentioned Prescott. Both of those towns are pretty pricey to be buying a home in. Also, in both of those places, the job market sucks, mostly service oriented jobs for low pay. If you are retired and financially secure, they would both be great places to live. The traffic is Prescott SUCKS and gets worse every year.

There are other areas that you might consider also. The White mountains around Payson and Strawberry. There is also where I live, called the "comfort corridor", about 20 miles SE of Prescott on SR69. Towns of Dewey-Humbolt, Mayer, Spring Valley and Cordes Lakes. Reasonably priced housing, but NO work you must drive to Prescott or Phoenix to find work). Temperatures range from 25 or so lows in the winter to 102 or so in the summer, no snow to speak of, just a little dusting occasionaly (more ofter as you get closer to Prescott). I work in Peoria (NW Phoenix) and ride to work 10 1/2 or so months out of the year.

Good luck

Teu

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx a lot guys...your imput is greatly appreciated and has given me many more options to look into.We would like to take a trip in July to see many of these cities first hand and to talk to realtors and try out summer weather.Then a winter trip will be in order.This is a 2 year plan to sell everything in Florida...figure where I want to live...and move.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
FlaFatBoy said:
Thanx a lot guys...your imput is greatly appreciated and has given me many more options to look into.We would like to take a trip in July to see many of these cities first hand and to talk to realtors and try out summer weather.Then a winter trip will be in order.This is a 2 year plan to sell everything in Florida...figure where I want to live...and move.

July is a good time to scout out Arizona for places to live. You will see Arizona at it's worst (heat and humidity). Believe it or not, you do adjust to the heat within a couple of years. I would never consider living anywhere else.

Teu

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I just went through my first summer in NW Phoenix (Surprise) and I didn't think it was so bad. I'm from NY State and the winters there I consider to be much more uncomfortable than the summers here. I can ride nearly year round here...even summer days in the morning. This year I was more uncomfortable during June in NY (80 temp with 80 humidity) than I was when I returned here in July. I just don't function in that humidity. Riding in the desert is quite interesting to me and I haven't tired of it yet after a couple years. We do like to go to Sedona and Flagstaff once in a while. And the potential for traveling to other states for interesting sites is great.

Housing prices are a real problem! Look very closely at that! Sedona, especially. I'm retired and bought my house in '03. If I'd waited a couple years per my original plan, I wouldn't have bought here at all! The prices have escalated that much. Some estimates are as high as 55%.

Job market seems to be mixed...lots of service jobs, but I don't really get the feeling tech jobs are plentiful.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I guess it would depend on if you are planning on working. Pres is a hour north of Phoenix and I -17 is the only real way in and out. And I live care free and 17 and the traffic SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS !!! Did I tell you tha the traffic sucks?? The housing building is causing a huge problem as they are now building the largest mall in in the country ( county??) any ways the two lane freeway is way over crowded and if there is a accident not uncommon for the road to close for several hours on a regular basis.

There are no plans ot widen the hwy until 2010!!!! I cannot even imagine what it will be like in two years. They are just ready to open a new apartment complex that will be over 350 units.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HDWRENCH said:
I guess it would depend on if you are planning on working. Pres is a hour north of Phoenix and I -17 is the only real way in and out. And I live care free and 17 and the traffic SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS !!! Did I tell you tha the traffic sucks?? The housing building is causing a huge problem as they are now building the largest mall in in the country ( county??) any ways the two lane freeway is way over crowded and if there is a accident not uncommon for the road to close for several hours on a regular basis.

There are no plans ot widen the hwy until 2010!!!! I cannot even imagine what it will be like in two years. They are just ready to open a new apartment complex that will be over 350 units.
Appreciate your post HD. What city is this mall going to be built in?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Greetings from AZ

I just spent most of this year working on contract in Tucson...late fall, early winter, and spring are wonderful, summer is the floor of H....commonly over 110 during the day dropping to high ninetys late at night. One thing to consider for any long-term contemplation is water supply. Much of AZ is in more or less of a drought condition in its 'normal' state, and Tucson, among other areas, is severly overdrawing an underground aquifer that's not being replenished. Like the oil, one of these days its going to be gone. Another is that the cost of energy is rising rapidly, hence running heavy calibre air conditioners 7/24 may not be practical much longer. Prescott is very nice, worth looking into, but as others have mentioned, there's making an income to consider. We own an art gallery in Sedona, so are quite familiar with conditions there. housing costs there are astronomical, and very little in the way of 'affordable' housing available. As has been mentioned, there's very little employment other than lowend service industry stuff...$8.50 an hour stuff. Most of the working folk live in a doublewide down in Cottonwood, not the 500,000 and up housing in Sedona. Small business is dying out in Sedona, we don't know where the rich folks are spending their money, but it ain't in Sedona...even everyday stuff like dry cleaners are closing. My home is up in Flagstaff, that's at 7000 feet, pine forest, very beautiful much of the year, but we're hitting 17 degrees at night now, and soon we'll be spending two hours each morning plowing the driveway. That's another $8.50 an hour area, and getting crowded and traffic laden too, although the 2 laners outside of town are some of the nicest riding roads ever. Be real sure of whatyou want, and look really carefully...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Andrew....thanx for all the great info! Tucson is now ruled out.Did'nt realize it had the Phoenix type heat. Sedona and Prescott sound really good.I saw the housing prices on the internet and they are high but so is South Florida.I would just about be swapping dollars when I sell my house and if I were to buy in either city.More research is needed and of course a visit will be made in July.Hopefully I will like it cause I have had enough of this hellhole (South Florida 26yrs) and its time to leave.Would like to buy you a beer when we get there.Take care and ride safe.

·
Still alive
546 Posts
We went to Sedona several years ago and looked at getting a place for future retirement. At that time I thought the prices were high. Two years later we went back and besides it getting very developed, pricing was thru the roof! We love the area as well as the areas around Flagstaff and Prescott (wife's father retired there) but unless I sell my house in NJ, there is no way I could carry two places. I don't know that the prices are in Cottonwood area but I am sure there has to be some places that the avg person can still afford. I am sure no matter where you go, it is going to be great

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I live in north pheonix , look at a map and you will see I-17 going north and I live at I-17 and carefree hwy just a bit to the east. As for housing I just bought a 3bdr+ den, 3 car garage ranch that is 2810 sqrft and I see other like it listed at 445K I paid almost 300K and in 6 months the prices are still climbing. I got a great deal on mine it should have been more to the upper 375+ range but still crazy market. Also check the HOA rules closely I passed a few that did not permit motorcycles before 9 am and after 9pm!!!

I love the cool nights temps are 20+ less than phoenix due to lack of concrete. The mall is going in at the I-17 and carefree intersection whoopie!!!!!!!:crying:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Move to Jerome...it is up in the mountains between Prescott and Cottonwood, it is a old mining town most of the residents are the "artsy" type (Old Hippies).the road from Jerome through Cottonwood to Sedona is nice...the road from Jerome to Prescott has 180 something curves in like 11 miles..lots of fun.....I did it with my 300# son on the back of my Ultra...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn! You guys are making me want to move now! Seriously, keep on posting I am really learning a lot.Now I have many places to check out in July. Have a Happy Thanksgiving to all.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm moving to Tucson early 2006. The temps in Tucson are 10 degrees cooler in the summer time than Phoenix because of the moutains and less concrete. Depending on the area in Tucson you can still find brand new hoses for under 200k, and you can still find homes on an acre for a little over 300k.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts