V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in relocating the license plate on an 04 RoadKing Classic to below the turn signal bar. Is there a bolt on bracket made for this?

I'd also like some ideas on dressing up the back of the frames after the exsisting license plate bracket is removed.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
street glide part

use the taillight bar off the street glide, it mounts the plate below, then use "tailgunners" from Auto-Gem to remove the old lic. plate mount/bar. Look for auto gem in J&P cycles

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
1bdBagr said:
use the taillight bar off the street glide, it mounts the plate below, then use "tailgunners" from Auto-Gem to remove the old lic. plate mount/bar. Look for auto gem in J&P cycles
You can do the FLHX light set up for $250 or, you can buy a $40 relocation bracket from Softbrake.com . Then, you can simply get a tail light lens with the clear window on the bottom to illuminate the plate. Should cost around $60 bucks when it's all said and done.

As far as the license plate bar left behind, the bar can not simply be removed because the mounting brackets actually tie everything together at the rear.

Your options are to cut the bar off and leave the brackets, or, go with the shotgun lights from autogems that replaces the brackets, or go with the license plate bar eliminator kit from www.bruisersinc.com .

Hope that helps!

E

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
BTW, if you run a search for this subject, you can find some very detailed threads about it... Assuming the search function is working...

E

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I've made a bracket out of my stock license plate bracket and a flat piece of metal. But I really like the $0.49 tye-rap option under my sadle bag.....

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
J&P Cycles also offers a bracket. I ordered mine from them at the Easy Riders show in Charlotte this weekend, -10% and no freight.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My setup was cheap and looks smooth, clean and neat.

Replaced stock taillight with a taillight that has the clear light on the bottom to ulimiate the License plate. J&P 20 bucks

Unbolted the stock Turnsignal bar, drilled 2 holes in the licence plate and reinstalled the bar, the plate sits perfectly under the bar and follows the lines of the fender exactly. Cost = 0

Removed the factory license plate/rear bar deal from the fender struts.
Went to Sears Hardware and purchased 2 black nylon end caps the same diameter as the holes in the end of the fender struts, popped them in and they fit flush and look factory. Cost = 2 bucks

Removed the factory rear bumper and purchased a hidden bumper Bracket from Dennis Kirk, Black. Cost = 40 bucks.

62 bucks for the whole deal and it looks great....

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Removed the factory license plate/rear bar deal from the fender struts
I'm sure this really cleans up the rear of the bike. I wasn't sure if it would affect the "structural integrity" of the rear fender / struts or not.

Also, is this bar necessary to mount the H-D two-up luggage rack? I'd like to remove the bar but I'll be purchas ing the luggage rack soon.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Neckball,

Mines an 89' so there is no structural issue with removing the bar. On the new ones, J&P offeres little brackets to bolt the fender struts to the support brackets that run down the rear fender. You can buy them, or just look at the pic online or in the catalog and easliy fab them up.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
This is the way I did it:

1.. Cut the "U" shaped bar that currently holds the license plate bracket and terminate the cut ends with some sort of point or trim. I used the Kuryakyn Stiletto head bolt covers (JB Welded them on). You can find them here:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2397

Bruiser also has some interesting replacement brackets for the "U" shape bar that eliminates the cutting, and they have threaded tips that thread into the brackets. Pretty slick. I wanted to keep consistant with the Kuryakyn Stilleto head bolt covers so I did it the long way. You can find them here:

http://www.bruisersinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRUISERS&Product_Code=4012

2.. Use Softbrake's relocation license plate bracket which mounts to the existing rear turn signal bracket holes in the fender. I painted the original stainless steel bracket black. I then mounted the unframed license plate to it with chrome acorn nuts for a retro look. You can get it here:

http://www.shop.softbrake.com/Harley/shop_detail.asp?product_id=20

3.. You will need to move the rear emblem down. It is attached with 2-sided tape. Use Goo-Gone to remove from fender and to remove tape from emblem, denatured alchohol to prep surfaces, and reapply emblem with 3-M automotive 2-sided tape.

Click my link below and then the License Relocate tab for additonal information on this modification.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
8 ball, thats one trick mod.... Looks sweet..
I'm gonna do the same thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Current issue of Hot Bike (I am guessing it's May 2006) has a installation article on the RWD (Russ Wernimont, http://www.russwernimont.com/bagger.html) Cateye License plate taillight and directionals.

Another option! You can even drop the directionals as the Lic. Cateye can be programmed to be directions also.

I did this set up this past fall on my EG. I wanted to dump that whole Lic. plate bar and trim covers.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
styd24 said:
Current issue of Hot Bike (I am guessing it's May 2006) has a installation article on the RWD (Russ Wernimont, http://www.russwernimont.com/bagger.html) Cateye License plate taillight and directionals.
I was looking for a setup like that but I'm not crazy about the RWD as it looks very clunky and bulky.

I did the 8-ball way (with a twist). I think it turned out awesome.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I was looking for a setup like that but I'm not crazy about the RWD as it looks very clunky and bulky.

I did the 8-ball way (with a twist). I think it turned out awesome.

Don't tease.... ever....

Pics on the twist please...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts