V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Ultra and I have made the tourpak detachable. When I'm riding single, I prefer to not have the tourpak attached, but this of course eliminates my CB (antenna is on the tourpak). So, I am looking into relocating my CB antenna down by my rear turn signals, but on the 03 the CB has a coil in the tourpak. Has anyone relocated the coil? I imagine the coil is a critical element and cannot just be eliminated, so I need to find a place to relocate it. I've looked for space behide the side panels on both sides of the bike, but there's no room there. Anyone moved their CB antenna and coil?? If so, where'd you put the coil? Which brings up another question. With the original set-up, the coil is only a few inches from the antenna. If I relocate the coil midway up the bike, will this repositioning screw up the reception of the CB? In other words, is the location of the coil in relation to the antenna important?? Thanks for any advice here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did what you are describing. I used a Firestick antenna that is top loaded and hand tuneable. I have my SWR down to 1.5. It works great.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So did you eliminate the coil all together or what?? I don't know much about CB antennas, what is a top loaded??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Without getting too long winded, all cb antennas must have a load coil of some sort. Also the antenna must be tuned to the radio. SWR is "standing wave ratio" this is the ratio of power being pushed through the antenna to the amount of power that is reflected back down the antenna. If the SWR is too high, above 3, you will not be operating efficiently and you could damage the circuits in your radio. The stock Harley antenna is bottom loaded. The coil is at the bottom. This is the least efficient. A top loaded antenna has the coil raped around the antenna’s length with the most at the top. This is the best. With an antenna like the Firestick, you do not need the Harley coil. Firestick has lots of good info on their site that explains this stuff better than I can.
Hope this helps

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info., I'll do this change this weekend. What Firstik did you use? And where/how did you attach it?

This forum rocks!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
txultra said:
I just did what you are describing. I used a Firestick antenna that is top loaded and hand tuneable. I have my SWR down to 1.5. It works great.

What is the Firestick part number? What lenght did you buy. Is there any members in the Kansas City area that know where to go to get the SWR adjusted. I ride a 2004 Ultra with the tour pack removed. Does Firestick sell an antenna for the amfm radio as well? Thanks for your help.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made a mount out of steel. It is a small L bracket that attaches to the bottom right hand fender/saddlebag support. Ware your rear bumper attaches to the saddlebag support there are two torx head screws. Just drill a ½ inch hole in the top of the bracket. Go to Radio shack and get a standard stud mount, and install in the ½ inch hole. While at Radio shack, get a short extension coax, about 2 foot, to run from the mount up to the coax comming from the radio. Make the connection under the seat. Also get the SWR meter from Radio Shack. I ordered the 2 foot Firestick II form westcoastmall.net.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I’ll see if I can post some pics.

As for the AM/FM antenna, get the Tune Trapper and mont it under your faring. Do a Google search for the best place to buy one.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to order the #FS3B (Firestik II 3 foot Black), and I'm going to Radio Shack after work to get the other parts. Thanks txultra.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
txultra said:
I made a mount out of steel. It is a small L bracket that attaches to the bottom right hand fender/saddlebag support. Ware your rear bumper attaches to the saddlebag support there are two torx head screws. Just drill a ½ inch hole in the top of the bracket. Go to Radio shack and get a standard stud mount, and install in the ½ inch hole. While at Radio shack, get a short extension coax, about 2 foot, to run from the mount up to the coax comming from the radio. Make the connection under the seat. Also get the SWR meter from Radio Shack. I ordered the 2 foot Firestick II form westcoastmall.net.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I’ll see if I can post some pics.

As for the AM/FM antenna, get the Tune Trapper and mont it under your faring. Do a Google search for the best place to buy one.

I will pick up the Radio Shack SWR meter tomorrow. I want to know if there is an easy way to adjust the SWR setting without having to remove the Ultra Classic fairing. Thanks for any info you can give me.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts