V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Fatboy with 14000 mi. I just replaced the 7 year old battery with a maintenance free OEM. There was a charging problem with the old one. Bike has started twice without fail since install. Today I tried to start her up and as soon as the start button was pressed there was a click and lights out. The battery volts check out at 3.5v with the tester, but I thought I'd hit it with the trickle charger just the same. Lights up green (no need to charge). Left it alone for awhile then tried again. Same thing happened. Wierd. I'm waiting for the Parts and Maintenance books to arrive but I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Started and ridden or just started and let idle.
What was the charging problem. Just bad battery or in the bikes systems.
Either your tester or charger has a problem, never sean a battery as low as 3.5 volts before. Did you mean 13.5 volts. That would be right for a fully charged AGM battery.
Check the connection at the top of the starter. You should have the same voltage there as at the + side of the battery. If not, could be the cable.
Verify the voltage during a start attempt. If it drops below 12, the battery has an issue. If not, it is could be a connection problem or in the solinoid.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
as the start button was pressed there was a click and lights out.

Does this mean that there was no current to anything, headlight, running lights, dash lights, etc???? If so, then it sounds like the main circuit breaker tripped.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Good catch Ed, I missed that comment.
Need more DATA "strongmrweak"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mas Data

I'm a little under the weather so forgive the incomplete details.

I started and rode the bike for several miles. The volt meter did indeed read 13.5. The trickle charger is a Harley model with only a single red/green light. And when I say "lights out" I mean literally. Not a light in the house. Odd too is that somehow it resets itself a short time later, though I haven't timed it. If the starter was froze up for instance I could understand the battery using all it's energy to move the gears and the lights might go dim and eventually out. This however simply shuts down all power. There is also a "click" noise just before the outage.

I don't really know if there was a charging problem or the cold weather we had here recently killed the older battery. Seeing as it was old and not sealed I felt it was better to go ahead and buy new.

I will try your advice and see what happens. I lieu of getting the manuals, where is the circuit breaker located?

Thanks again.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Like ED said, Main Circuit Breaker is tripping. That is the "click" that you are hearing. It will reset automaticaly. Might as well jus replace it but at the same time check for a possible pinched wire.

Good catch Ed

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Right on, Chuck. Something is causing that main breaker to trip, either a bad breaker or a short somewhere. You mentioned putting in a new battery. First rule of thumb is to check whatever was most recently messed with, in this case the battery and all connections there. A broke or bad battery cable is another possibility.

Considering the bike is a 94, regardless of mileage, I always recommends a thorough clean-up of electrical connections and ground points and replacement of the all circuit breakers. In addition to the main breaker, there are probably 2 or 3 more under the dash. Use dielectric grease on all connections and connectors after cleaning them up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the main circuit breaker. No banana, but as a side note it reset within 2 min. instead of maybe and hour or so. I will replace the relay as well since it too was relatively cheap. Checked all the cables and close inspection found the ground wire had become frayed on the bottom near the frame. Damn near impossible to see until I R&R'd the battery. I'll have to wait until Monday to rock and roll but I appreciate everyone's advice on this problem. In the mean time I'll make that dielectric job happen tomorrow.

Site paid for itself. I'm in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts