V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, got an 02 FXSTS that is bone stock for a while. Bike runs great, except at stop lights, where it decides to sometimes stall on me. Idles well, but from idle to 1/4 turn, she'll hiss and then maybe go. Is it because of the stock low speed jet, or a poor air/fuel mixture? Haven't looked at the plugs yet. There are no other symptoms, thanks.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
If the bike still has the stock mufflers and air cleaner, all I would do is remove the plug that covers up the idle mixture screw, and adjust the screw out maybe a turn or so until you no longer have problems.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A stock bike should not do that regarless what the dealer may say. Its possible the idle is to low or that there is a air leak and should be fix if under warrenty. In fact if its under warrent and it not a low idle take the bike in & have it check out. If its out , do the simple stuff frist .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem about warranty work, is that I know they'll keep it longer than I can stand. Could it be the idle mixture if it idles well under no load? It seems it's a simple fix, but will I be screwed if the dealer sees that I messed with the plug on the carb?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Just for the hell of it, what is the mileage on the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Don't mess with the welsch plug. As you mentioned, this will void your warranty. Take it back and demand it be made right. If they balk, call the Motor Company and bang on 'em like there is no tomorrow. sick 'em on the dealership. Only resort to this if you don't get satisfaction at the store.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JimmyK, I could only put 120 miles on the bike before I had to deploy again. Had it for only 3 days! And the weather is beautiful in NW Florida of course.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
USAFP:

Take the suggestions about returning it to the dealer. A stock bike should not do this. Maybe an air leak like someone else mentioned. Another possibility is a small hole in the diaphram in the carb. I've seen this twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts