V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2003 EGC, the volt meter dips occasionally. I've checked and checked things, and have found that when I wiggle the two wires coming out of my regulator, it starts charging again. I've checked the spade connectors inside the plug under the regulator, cleaned them up and it still is sporadic. Is this the regulator starting to fail? Or do I have a wire/connection problem?? I would think that with solid state electronics the regulator will either work or not work. Any and all suggestions welcome!!!!

BTW, I followed the things my dealer told me to check and of course, when it works all readings are WNL. It never messes up when I'm at home with my check gear!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Generally a regulator either dies or acts up when hot.
Wiggling wires indicates a wiring, connector issue. You said you cleaned the spade connectors on the connector comming out of the VR, did you try crimpling the female side closed just slightly to make better contact? Also put a little, just a touch, of dielectric grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.
Next question, is there any evidence of the wires going into or out of the regulator being smashed. Next time it stops working, feel the wires to see if you have a hot spot, although if the wire was partially cut, I would think it would have melted the insulation at the bad spot by now.
Also, the connector you have been messing with comes from the Stator. there are two other wires, the regulator output, running down the frame to a Circuit Breaker and ground under the seat. Are these wires in good condition?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ideally your voltage meter would have a dedicated pair of wires that lead straight to the battery to give a true representation of the state of the battery. Unfortunately, the fairing mounted voltage meter on the EG shares its connection with every electrical device on the bike and is subject to line drop from power hungry electronics. Voltage reading dips may simply be the result of operating lights, heated riding gear, radio, and such. If you find that you can witness a reading dip on the fairing mounted meter that doesn’t correspond to another meter reading that you hold straight across the battery, you can probably assume everything to be normal.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mlewis said:
Ideally your voltage meter would have a dedicated pair of wires that lead straight to the battery to give a true representation of the state of the battery. Unfortunately, the fairing mounted voltage meter on the EG shares its connection with every electrical device on the bike and is subject to line drop from power hungry electronics. Voltage reading dips may simply be the result of operating lights, heated riding gear, radio, and such. If you find that you can witness a reading dip on the fairing mounted meter that doesn’t correspond to another meter reading that you hold straight across the battery, you can probably assume everything to be normal.
True. The fairing mounted voltmeter reads 14+, almost 15 when running anything above 2000 RPM. When I turn on the passing lamps, the heated seat, the cruise control, the most it drops is to 14V. When I experience the loss of charging, the volt meter drops to 10. My XM radio shuts off and the crusie control drops out. Thats how I discovered it in the first place.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LittleBear said:
Generally a regulator either dies or acts up when hot.
Wiggling wires indicates a wiring, connector issue. You said you cleaned the spade connectors on the connector comming out of the VR, did you try crimpling the female side closed just slightly to make better contact? Also put a little, just a touch, of dielectric grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.
Next question, is there any evidence of the wires going into or out of the regulator being smashed. Next time it stops working, feel the wires to see if you have a hot spot, although if the wire was partially cut, I would think it would have melted the insulation at the bad spot by now.
Also, the connector you have been messing with comes from the Stator. there are two other wires, the regulator output, running down the frame to a Circuit Breaker and ground under the seat. Are these wires in good condition?
This gives me a direction to look in. The wires that come out of the plug make a rather severe U turn under the VR, it was quite cold this morning when I set out, didn't risk taking off my gloves. The only wires I have messed with are the ones with the plug, a matter of fact.... when it stops charging, I can wiggle the wires as they exit the plug on their way to the VR. Thats why my gut tells me it's in between the plug and VR. Or where they go into the VR it's self.
Thanks for the help and suggestions from both of you!!! :thanks:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the dealers. Yep, the VR was bad. New regulator, and all is well. Did all the above suggestions, traced it to the VR, the dealer's meters agreed. Gotta love the extended warrantee!! Cost me 50 bucks.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Glad you got it resolved.:clap:
Ride safe.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Underwarranty so who cares. But wiggling wires should have no effect on VR. Maybe loose connection. Thye probably tightened connection when putting new one one. Who knows, eitehr way your ahead you have new VR.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, but it turned out to be where the wire went into the VR. Maybe a bad solder or cracked wire inside the solid state. Connection plug was OK. Like you said, who cares!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts