V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was relocating my stator/regulator connector from the lower frame to the downtube crossmember on my 2000 Road King (per an old service bulletin I read) and drained a tablespoon of primary fluid out of the connector. I also noticed spots on the cables where the insulation was missing and the bare wire was visible. I want to replace these wires but according to the parts manual it looks like I need a new regulator (?)
Will the cable going into the primary case for the stator unplug? There wasn't a separate part number for the cable, only for the stator & cable.

Is the stator replacement a do it yourself job?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The stator and regulator disconnect from each other at the plug you were trying to relocate. One section of cable comes with the regulator and the other with the stator.

Considering the number of problems they had with stators and the fact they had a service bulletin to relocate the connector it might not be unreasonable to call them and ask for a goodwill repair.

The parts are not hard to replace if you have big sockets and a big torque wrench. You can make a tool to lock the primary out of a piece of flat steel. The clutch nut is reverse thread.

Or you can repair the insulation with heat shrink tape.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I had this problem on my bike when new. Dealer would not replace it. They just used black silicone and heat shrink to fix it. It's lasted 60K miles. I've done a couple of other bikes since then with no problem. If the bare spots are not too bad, that's the way to go. I also put a 2-3 inch piece of plastic wire loom (auto parts store) on the stator wire where it goes thru the first hold down. That seemed to be one of the obvious rubing places.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts