V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping a friend with his Revtech engine. He's new to the bike. I'm trying to become familier with its numerous issues when I notice that the regulator plug in the cases is coroded badly as though battery acid has been dripping on it for years. No way can you connect the reg connector.

He's actually running it without the regulator connected, though just around the block, what's up with that?

My main question here is how to remove the connector from the case. Does it just pull out or do I have to go in though the stator opening?

On another note, what is up with the engine not starting when it's in a bad firing position? I have to rotate the engine for the starter to have enough oompf.

Thanks in advance, I'll appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You will have to remove the stator from the inside. No other options there...

As for the engine not wanting to start - does it have compression releases? If not, the starter may be having a tough time spinning that (presumably) stroked engine. The first generation of larger stroke engines ate more starters than fat chicks ate bon-bons.

Of course running around unregulated (or not charging at all) will have an effect on the battery eventually, which could lead to hard starting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I also did a search on stators which explained the situation well. It seems that this connector problem is an example of oil "wicking" up the wires and into the connector. The strangest thing is how eaten up the metal contacts are.

As you know, I figured that I would tackle this problem before anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts