V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey barkeep - a round of drinks for everyone. Hope this is the correct forum :)

I am thinking of building a bike over the winter probably a large S&S motor in a custom frame and was wondering if anyone can offer some insights into the following:

Registering the bike in Maryland. How does this work (Columbus Day - the MVA is closed). Does someone have to inspect it to make sure it has brakes etc ;)

Insuring the bike. Are there any specialty insurers for handbuilt one-offs. Did a google search but not much luck.

Financing - I plan to foot the bill since i doubt anyopne would finance a box of parts but I was wondering if anyone out there would offer a loan after the bike is built and registered??? (Sounds wierd but I have ulterior motives:) ) Or...will anyone finance a box of parts?? Maybe a personal loan?

Thanks guys.

Steve in MD

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know about MD but, registering a custom built bike in MA is a pain in the a$$. You have to have EVERY receipt for EVERY part.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
And don't even think about registering it as a h-d :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is an article in a recent Street Chopper on what a pain it is to get insurance for a custom. They talked about buying stated value insurance, because most apprasials for a custom bike with 30k worth of parts would be like 10k. I will see if i can find the article for you.....but it boiled down to you pay out the ass for the true replacement value of a custom bike.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
LimeySoftail said:
Hey barkeep - a round of drinks for everyone. Hope this is the correct forum :)
Ah, someone who has learned their manners from rec.motorcycle.harley it looks like :) Way to go Steve!

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Not sure how it works in MD, but I have an '82 Ironhead Sporty I bought in Michigan that's listed as "Assembled" on the title, even though it's stock HD - it's just that someone built it from assorted HD parts.

Therefore, the frame and the engine have a Michigan stamp on it that replaced the original HD VIN. I had no problem getting insurance from Progressive for it several years ago in Michigan, but when I moved to SC, they wouldn't renew.

After calling every place I could think, the only place I found that would insure her was Allstate - they didn't care about the Michigan VIN - just got me the policy.

I've also heard that if you look in the back of some of the biker mags, you can find places that insure customs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What if you bought a used frame at a swap meet a swapped the vin from that to your custom....... then get the custom apraised and call it a harley with many "add-on" chrome pieces and accessories......

that way it would be titled and registered as a h-d.....

I know thats what all the hotrod guys do..... you can buy vins and titles from old cars..... my dads friend has a 32 ford roadster he built and its registered as a real 32 ford with a title.... and my dads other friend just finished a 66 FFR cobra kit car and registered it as a real 65 or 66 ford with a title.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Pur Pony...I am quite sure that is ILLEGAL and will get someone in serious hot water if it was ever checked out. My friend did this with his '69 VW Ghia and it was very "hush...hush". Maybe things have changed in 10+ years, but I'd be careful with that route...not saying I wouldn't do it...I would do it in a heartbeat...but be careful and don't brag about it too much!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about if you build a custom with a Harley frame?
- thats also something i was wondering.......

the thing with buying titles and vin numbers though.... this is a business that he bought it from...... so i really dont know whats up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts