V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Simple... run some GooGone around the edges and let it seep in for a few minutes. Then start twisting it back and forth... it will come off in a few tries. The left over two sided tape will come off with the GooGone and will not affect your paint or powder coat. A heat gun or hair dryer will speed the process.

I did the same for all the stickers on my bike... especially the aircleaner.... course that is gone now anyway.

If you are at all worried about losing the safety factor... get some black reflective tape and apply it to your frame. Can hardly tell it is there in the daylight, but it will come to life when hit by headlights.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
So what happens when the LEO pulls you over for a missing reflector. And then notices that you have not complying EPA pipes. :nono: You just stepped into a hornets nest. I think I'll leave the reflectors on. :roflback:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Bug and tar remover works

I used bug and tar remover to get the ones off of my fender so I could install my side plates for my sissy bar. It worked very well.

'06 Super Glide
 

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
Joined
·
553 Posts
Rock Steady said:
So what happens when the LEO pulls you over for a missing reflector. And then notices that you have not complying EPA pipes. :nono: You just stepped into a hornets nest. I think I'll leave the reflectors on. :roflback:
fuk da police.....fuk, fuk, fuk da police!:nunu:
i pulled my reflectors off first thing. it ain't a damn bicycle....it's a motorcycle!
 

·
Wandering Child
Joined
·
632 Posts
8-Ball said:
Simple... run some GooGone around the edges and let it seep in for a few minutes. Then start twisting it back and forth... it will come off in a few tries. The left over two sided tape will come off with the GooGone and will not affect your paint or powder coat. A heat gun or hair dryer will speed the process.

I did the same for all the stickers on my bike... especially the aircleaner.... course that is gone now anyway.

If you are at all worried about losing the safety factor... get some black reflective tape and apply it to your frame. Can hardly tell it is there in the daylight, but it will come to life when hit by headlights.
All my reflectors are gone too. Good tip on the black reflective tape. Didn't even know it comes in black.
 

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
Joined
·
160 Posts
I just pulled mine till they came off, then got some bug and tar remover to remove the sticky stuff they left behind. As for the cops stopping you, I seriously doubt that will be a reason for you to be stopped. Having been a police officer in So Cali for 6 years, I have never heard of anyone being stopped or cited for no reflectors on a motorcycle.
 

·
05 Deuce
Joined
·
263 Posts
On the front forks, I used the heat gun and dental floss trick. On the rear fender, heat gun and strong fingernail. Cleaned up the goo with ZEP lubricant. Keep in mind though, if you use the heat gun and tug on them, they'll bend. Then you can't put them on your ten speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I got two sheets of 8.5 x 11 black reflective sheets and cut my own design.

$15.95 for two sheets. One sheet is enough to do the frame and the swingarm.

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm#sheets

Rock... you can't ride skeerd... this stuff is at least as bright as the stock reflectors and it really sticks. I have washed and waxed the bike many times... not even a hint of an edge peel. Use denatured alcohol prior to application... then set with a hair dryer and pressure.
 

·
The Alter Ego
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
8-Ball said:
Rock... you can't ride skeerd... this stuff is at least as bright as the stock reflectors and it really sticks. I have washed and waxed the bike many times... not even a hint of an edge peel. Use denatured alcohol prior to application... then set with a hair dryer and pressure.
8,
Was looking at your scoot. It looks real clean without the reflectors. Really pulling me in the taking off direction. Do you have the reflective tape on in those pics. I can't even see it. That's cool! Makes the bike look real "grown man" like!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
8-Ball said:
I got two sheets of 8.5 x 11 black reflective sheets and cut my own design.

$15.95 for two sheets. One sheet is enough to do the frame and the swingarm.

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/saddle.htm#sheets

Rock... you can't ride skeerd... this stuff is at least as bright as the stock reflectors and it really sticks. I have washed and waxed the bike many times... not even a hint of an edge peel. Use denatured alcohol prior to application... then set with a hair dryer and pressure.
Yeah, that works great.

Just trying to keep up with the mechanical stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Rock Steady said:
8,
Was looking at your scoot. It looks real clean without the reflectors. Really pulling me in the taking off direction. Do you have the reflective tape on in those pics. I can't even see it. That's cool! Makes the bike look real "grown man" like!
The stuff is on Stan... it is very unobtrusive. I take off anything that is Mattel like in nature.

Look closely at the downtubes... the flash has set them off enough to see.

For you non-artistic types, I have attached the pattern I designed for the down tubes, neck gusset, and swingarm. You print it out with an inkjet printer on the back side of the decal (laser makes heat), wait for the ink to dry, and cut the parts out. Use denatured alchohol prior to application.

Studded Lace said:
Yeah, that works great.

Just trying to keep up with the mechanical stuff.
This is more like paper dolls Lace... but a definite "A" for attitude.
 

·
Liberal Slayer
Joined
·
212 Posts
I used a hair dryer over the reflectors to soften up the adhesive. I used it for a about two minutes and then lightly pulled on the reflectors with my fingers. They came off like a hot knife going through butter. It was easy and all the adhesive came off in one piece, nothing to scrub off with bug and tar remover. Try it, it works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
thanks for the info I have wanted to take them off since I first brought the bike home. I really didnt know how to do it and not mess anything up.

thanks again
 

·
Seasoned Prime Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
dagsss said:
anyone know how to remove thoose unsightly reflectors on the forks?
The easiest way is 20# fishing line. Just run it under the reflector. Never scratches the paint or chrome. A little Goo Gone or Goof Off and the left over tape is gone!! :dunno: :xhere:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
8-Ball said:
Wacking your weed is another thread, Bill. This thread is for paper dolls, origami, and tatting doilies.

Care for some tea... rose hips with that???
I stand corrected. I guess that I can suffer through the tea, but can I get tequila with mine?.........Bill
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top