V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one refilled the oil in the rear air shocks ever before.? how much oil is in there. ? the repair manual says that shocks are not servicable.

the oil spilled out and i need to know how much to put back in there. jack

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just looked at my Clymer manual, and a older HD manual they don't say anything about how much the rear hold.
A little oil goes a long way making a mess. Unless you broke a hose and ran a long way I don't think you need to worry about it. Like the forks only hold 9.7 oz for 99 to 2001 and 2002 is 11.1 oz and a rear shock is a whole lot smaller.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
How did the oil come out?

One or both?

They can be refilled thru the air fitting, hard thing is to figure how much to use. If it only came out of one you can measure what is in the other one. If they leak at the seal they are history.
Harley has no info, but the Honda dealers at one time had the Showa fluid they take, or you can just use fork oil and experiment with weight to where you like it, but don't mix the oils just in case (empty them first as much as possible)
Not sure anymore but it came up once before and I think it was 10W.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.