V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a flyer from Woodstock Harley last night and they want $169.99 for the reduced effort clutch installed. The part is $49.99 in the 06 catalog. From some of the posts on this install it sounds like the install can be a bit of a PITA. My mechanical knowledge begins and ends with oil changes.

This seem reasonable?

Thanks

Dave

04 Carb FLHT Standard
Stage One Kit

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Dave, Im not a mechanic but I see they put in a new clutch spring and inner/outer ramps. With that will come a trans oil change and clutch adjustment and a test ride. If the dealer gets $75 an hour your quoted price sounds like a fair deal if it includes the parts.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
That's not a bad price at all. On the FL's you really have to remove the entire exhaust system to do it right. It's very hard just to remove the front pipe with the engine still on its mounts.

You also have to remove the left floorboard to get at the primary. Only problem is they will likely charge you for new primary and transmission gaskets. That's not bad if they, in fact, do install them. I used mine over since they were perfect and they are not leaking.

I did the job a couple of months ago and it took me all of four hours. Good thing I'm not doing piecework somewhere.

H

·
0 Posts
I've done three of these now. My own motor, and two friend's. All three were on Road King Classics.

First, the improvement in the clutch is dramatic, and well worth it.

On these models, I've not had to remove the exhaust, but merely loosen the mounts (both flanges, the mount on the high-side, the mount at the cross-over, and the mounts at the saddlebag rails). This allows enough movement in the exhaust to access the clutch release cover. It is also necessary to loosen the heat shields, so they can be rotated out of the way. A critical tool is a set of ball-end Allen wrenches. Being able to come at the bolts from a few degrees off makes it much easier. It is also very helpful, but not absolutely required, to have a second person to manipulate the loose exhaust.

The footboard removal on the low-side is not too big a project (three bolts), and the primary cover removal is fairly simple.

The installation of the kit itself is very simple on both points (the clutch release and the diaphragm spring).

Because the release cover gasket is only a few dollars, and since the release cover is the difficult one to access, I replaced the gasket there, while I re-used the primary cover gasket. Also, upon removal, the release cover gasket tends to hang up on the oil slinger upon removal, and get damaged.

The dealer I shop at charges 2.5 hours labor. My first stab at this project took me about 3.5 hours, and now I'm down to about the 2.5 hour point. So I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

If your dealer is doing parts and labor for $170.00, that's a good deal. If that's just labor, it's only fair.

Harris

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It's a cold ride this time of year, but I bet they can do it for less. give Ben Breece a call. they're in Ohio. 419-523-4274
small dealer with low overhead so small prices on service. may be worth a ride on a warmer day or a cold day if you don't mind the temps lately.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just got as flyer in the mail yesterday from a local dealer too. They want $239.95 for the reduced effort kit installed. #@SasF#

I got the SE clutch spring installed a few weeks ago but the ramps didn't come in at that time, so I'm gonna attempt to install them as soon as it's cold enough to keep me from riding (read: salt on the roads).

darrell

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I did mine in about 2 hours. OK, I cheated. I have a V&H ProPipe and Kuyrakyn floor board extenders. I didn't have to touch my exhaust or my low side floor board, just needed a short allen wrench to get the one under the L floor board. My dealer is charging around $229.00 or so. I guess they're averaging the time between FLH's and FX's. Make time on one, loose it on another, break even overall.
Next project........auto adjust primary shoe and 3:37 primary gear ratio!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts