V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep seeing shockproof heavy being used,now over here in England its not common but i can get it from the net.
What i am wondering is considering my riding is usually spring to late autumn which would roughly be in the 10 to 25 centigrade temp range,would heavy be the best choice?,i thought maybe the light one?.
Also my bike sits for 4 months in the winter,any issues with the suspension ever forming together?...i ask because i am a keen shooter and i used to use{before they were all banned here a few years back} a teflon suspension product called "Tetra-gun",now after being out with my shotgun the other day i could not find my usual oil,so dug this tetra out...but the teflon suspension was just a congealed lump in the bottom of the bottle!.
I know this is all a long story but i presume its teflon in shockproof? anyone had any issues with it?..and ...will i really notice a difference?
cheers,Dave.England.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can't comment on your Redline questions, but I use to use a product with Teflon suspended in it. It congealed in the bottom of any container it was in, but would mix back in with some agitation. How much mixing was needed depended on the amount of time it had sat. When the equipment was used regularly, settling was very minor or non-existent.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I seriously doubt there is any teflon in any Redline product. Of course I could be wrong but I believe teflon containing oils and lubes are more reserved for the snake oil type products like Slick 50/Duralube, etc. Especially considering that most of these products claim that the temperature inside an engine is what "activates" the teflon. I have several different oils from Redline (and Amsoil and HD, etc.) and have never seen any "clumps" or otherwise, of teflon, or anything, on the bottom of the container, even after more than a year of sitting on my shelf. I actually had some Redline that I just used that was almost two years old and it came out just fine with nothing left over. I would be completely 100% confident of using Redline or Amsoil gear lube for extended service of two to three years, with a winter lay-over of a few months.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies,i may have presumed wrong then that the "Shockproof" gear oil uses teflon,but the Redline web site does say it has a ,Quote, "Suspension of solid microscopic particles which cushions gear teeth",so does anyone know what it is if not teflon PTFE based?
Regards, Dave. England.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
KiNgPiG said:
thanks for the replies,i may have presumed wrong then that the "Shockproof" gear oil uses teflon,but the Redline web site does say it has a ,Quote, "Suspension of solid microscopic particles which cushions gear teeth",so does anyone know what it is if not teflon PTFE based?
Regards, Dave. England.
Ask Redline what it is. Most likely it is marketing hype. They may be referring to the anit-wear and possibly the extreme pressure additives as solid microscopic particles. In general these types of additives become sacrificial and cushion the gear teeth if the gearlube was to become ruptured or channeled where as the lube would temporarily not be there to protect the gears. This mostly happens in very cold temperatures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts