V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question for the rear sprocket and brake rotor should you use red or blue locktite. I was always under the assumption that you should only used blue on aluminum, and my hubs are aluminum. I wouldn't think they would vibrate loose with blue locktite on them if they were torqued correctly, but maybe I am wrong. Could someone set me straight on this please!!

·
FXR
117 Posts
I had an H-D mechanic tell me you should buy new bolts anytime you remove the rotor or pulley. I listened to him and bought new ones and they came with red loctite already on them.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
MegaGlide said:
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=55953

And that dry stuff on the new bolts isn't the same strength as red loctite just because it's red.
I just replaced my rotors and pulley. Definitely buy new rotor bolts - the manual says to do that. The manual does not tell you to replace the pulley bolts. They are big enough and there is no way you're going to put enough torque on them to stretch them.

The manual also tells you to use RED (272?) locktite on the rotor bolts.

·
Z DagwooD
22 Posts
Well, I don't know about the size of bolts on the sprocket/pulley,,,,,
This weekend while zipping along at 75mph on the I-8 just entering Yuma Az, I felt a wiggle, heard a pop then a POW... something goes flying past me on my left.... heart stops... new button hole in the seat.... No speedometer..
pull over... ALL 5 bolts in the pulley are missing...
Got bike in the back of the truck and hauled her home...
Got the wheel off and the bolts are ALL broke off.
16K on a 04 Fatboy stock wheel and pulley.... the pulley has never been off but was check at 10K at 60 ftlbs T......
Tell me what the hell happened....
All bolts were broke at about where the threads start..
H.D. now has it and is contacting H.D. HQ....
Anyone with any Idea's... I'm all ears.=devil=

1 - 6 of 6 Posts