V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Heritage Softail Classic a month ago and I love it. Great ride, but I'm having a recurring problem. The red engine service light keeps coming on after about 5-20 minutes of riding while accelerating through about 65 mph. I took it in and the service manager said it was a phantom cause the computer download did not reveal any tripped codes. Can anyone help me with this? It will be fixed by the shop I bought it at but he needs to see it when it is on. So I'll ride tomorrow 'til I get itthe red light and then take in to show him again. Any ideas? Help? Would appreciate you input.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine does the same thing. They can never find a code either. But i have never had any problems, so i don't worry about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackwhisper: I don't think I'm having any performance problems either but there are a couple of problems with having the red light on. For one, as an airline pilot, red lights mean you're probably gonna miss lunch 'cause things aren't going well. Secondly, and almost as important as missing lunch is that if you actually DO have an engine problem, you're not going to know it (other than a perceived reduction in performance) if the light would have been tripped by a real engine problem. You're right...it's probably nothing to be bothered with...but doggonit, it just oughta work right!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree, its like Windows, it has errors that not ever the designers can figure out. Mine has done it for 17,000 miles so I would bet if it was going to break it would have already. But if it breaks, they can say it warned me.
lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blackwhisper: I wonder if by chance having new exhaust , an air cleaner and a remap might take care of that blamed red light. When does yours come on? Always on? Mine tends to come on between 5-20 minutes after accelerating through 65mph. Don't know why but something in that envelope is triggering the red light. I'm monitoring it so that I can give the tech something to work with. Would be interested in what input you can share.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm not buying this one.
It's real simple, the engine lite comes on at any time other then the 4 seconds after you turn ignition and run switch on the bike has a code. If it is a hard code the engine lite stays on. If whatever parameter out of spec corrects itself you would then still have a historic code and the engine lite would go out after the 4 seconds and then come on for about 8 seconds and then go out. This will cure itself after 50 run cycles if no other code is set in this time.

Phantom codes will set, but they will be put in history.

The only way I can see the engine lite coming on and not setting a code in the ECM is if the ground side wiring of the engine lite to the ECM is pinched somewhere and temporarily shorts to ground as in this case the ECM would not be able to detect that the lite has been triggered.

Just for the fun of it clean and tighten the battery terminals both at the battery and at the starter solenoid and chassis, as well as the harness grounds. If voltage at the ECM instantaneously drops below a treshold it may think it is being turned on again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree with the Hippo. If it ain't ground side shorted you got a DTC in there somewhere. The way to solve it on an EFI bike with the EFI Tuner is run a data collection with DTC Collection turned "On" under Options. Also go into Advanced Options and set the log time interval to 20 seconds up from default of four. Then do a data collection run. If you're lucky and the light actually comes on in under 10-20 mintues or when the light does come on go at least another one mintute on the bike. Stop and turn off the data record and save it.
Now go back and play back the data records frame by frame until the DTC shows up. You will get both the DTC and the reasonably precise point in time where it occurred as well as all the ECM sensor metrics at that point and something WILL be causing it.
Now your dealer should do this on a test drive (ie. collect the data at the point in time where the ligt comes on). Good luck on that!!! At a minimum they should be able to retrieve the Set, Current or Historical DTC but that won't always tell the whole story without knowing what was going on when it came on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine does not do the historic code thing for 8 seconds(never has). Once triggered the engine light will stay on until you shut off the bike. But then when you turn it back on, there is never a engine light, except for the 4 seconds that its supposed to be on. I will check the wire connections and see if it helps.

JetBlueman. I have Longshots, aircleaner and remap and it still does it. If memory serves i beleive it did it before the change also, but i can't be sure. I have acctually been looking down at the speedo when the light flips on. It generally comes on while cruising at highway speed, 55-70ish.
It just came on while cruising at a constant speed and I felt nothing at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blackwhisper: Ditto on mine. Same exact scenario.
Hippo and Tsuter: Thanks for the technical input. You guys are obviously sharp on this stuff. Question: How does the fact that the red light seems to be triggered after 5-20 minutes of riding AND accelerating above about 65mph relate to a ground problem? Wouldn't it come on right away after the 4 sec start-up sequence? It seems too consistent to jive with a ground problem. I really appreciate your input. Just wondering if there's a sensor input for manifold pressure or something that relates to air density or pressure at about the 65mph range. I'll delve a little more into your suggestions and see what I come up with. Thanks for your help.
jBman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
These things hardly ever are hard faults. One sort of has to be there to get a feel for the anomaly.
It could be temperature triggered and wiring includes the printed circuit board in the speedo, or maybe voltage related. Like TS said if you scan it long enough you will find something.
The dealer doesn't even need the EFI tuner, they have the same capability with the digital technician.

Let us know what they come up with.

I totally reject the idea of living with it. It may not cause a problem for the life of the bike, but if another problem develops you could well lose the early warning capability as now the warning system is suspect.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is a sensor for manifold ambient pressure. It throws off flash code 12 and DTC P0107,108, and 1107. 107/108 are for Low/High voltage so that probably would not be intermittent. 1107 is for drift - maybe could be intermittent. There are also some intermittent codes on the front and rear ignition coil secondary. But there are a lot of sensors and codes so I wouldn't want to just start replacing things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts