V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been in recovery for nearly 3 years now and I think that the time has come (well in the spring) to finally look at purchasing something that has been out of my league for nearly 22 years and that would be a Harley:D My father had a Harley he purchased new back in 1964 shortly after the purchase he was killed while working on his car. What I've been able to find out is that it only had a few thousand miles on it and my mother had to sell it to make ends meet(sure would be cool to find out whatever happened to that bike). I was four years old at the time and I always said that I was going to have a bike someday and as I got older the thought of ever owning one kept getting to be more and more of a fantasy as the years passed and I kept looking for all the answers at the bottom of a glass. I went thru treatment 5 times then in April 2000 I finally saw the light and realized that I could actually survive without alcohol and drugs. I don't want to dwell on this part of my life, unfortunately from about age 18 to 40 that was my life :( But I'm doing ok now and I want to get a bike so I thought I would sign up here and see what’s up :) I don't even know what kind of bike I want yet but I like the 2002 Soft tail, looks really sharp. I want a sport bike as opposed to a cruiser and my wife wants to get a Sportster herself so, hey I can't disagree with her on that one:D . I do have one question though; what makes a deuce? I see them around for sale but I don't know what it represents, common sense tells me it has something to do with the number 2 but what, dual exhaust, dual carbs, twice as much fun to ride, what??? Thanks for reading

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I read the whole thing and want to Welcome you first To Life and second to This Forum. Keep up the good work man! Life is GOOD!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Dunno what to say to that one. My OL thinks I'm Still one, ok still drink, but have cut down one HELL of a lot!
Keep up the good work and 'Welcome'. :D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Welcome Eddie,
Took a hell of a man to introduce himself that way. I am sure you are enjoying life and will enjoy the bike when you get it. Welcome!

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support I really appreciate it (makes me FEEL good, theres those damn feelings again):) now can you tell me what a deuce is?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Eddie Haskell said:
now can you tell me what a deuce is?
Drop down to the 'Softail' general section, Click Here
Best asking the experts! :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Welcome to the real (sober) world and to the forum. Say Hello to Wally, Lumpy and the Beaver for me.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Welcome

First welcome to the forum. Second Glad your getting things under control. Lots of gut and strength to give that introduction.

What is a Deuce?

It is one of the models in the softail family of bikes. The softails are Standard, Night train, Fatboy, Haritage, Haritage springer, springer and the Deuce.

The deuce is very similar to the Standard, night train and springer. The big differences on the Deuce are the streatched fuel tank, solid disc rear wheel like the fatboy and the shot gun exhaust like the fatboy. The rear fender is also different. It is a very sharp looking bike. I looked long and hard at it.

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the explanation of the "Deuce" it had me baffled, I have asked several "bikers" and they really couldn't tell me, and Dave51...Mrs. Cleaver says your hot!:D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Eddie- You can get all this kind of info at the harleydavidson website....pictures and specs and prices. Harley doesn'r make any sportbikes. Maybe you don't really mean a sportbike. the softail family of bikes are cruisers. The V-rod is a power-cruiser. i don't know what the hell a Sporter is.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en/home.asp?bmLocale=en_US

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as opposed to a full dresser... I thought the soft tail was a sport bike. See, you learn something new everyday. From now on I will get it right...cruiser not sport bike :eek:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Eddie, welcome aboard and congratulations. Drinking/drugs and bikes don't go well together (first hand experience). I tell eveyone now, jokingly, that I haven't had any fun since I quit drinking. That's been about 20 years. Seriously, when temptation starts slugging you in the head, jump on the bike and ride. It's a great stress reliever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always said that a ride on my Harley on a beautiful sunny day was better than a cold six pack anytime............friend of Bill W.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Hi Eddie....Welcome to the forum... Good to have you... Lot's of great people here... You'll find out lot's of stuff...And have lots of fun too! Everyone is more than happy to give advice or an opinion.... Oh Yea... I'm very impressed with your beating your addictions 1) Cause you can admit it !! 2) hopefully ... you found the cause of the pain.. and now can go on with life.. I've seen alot of people destroy themselves with drugs and alcohol... Bravo... Believe in your self. and keep up the great work !!... Your worth it!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Eddie, welcome aboard. I traveled some of the same road you did. Was able to quit 3/11/01.

greg

·
Registered
106 Posts
:D Good work Eddie, aint it amazing what you can do when drugs and alcohol are not sucking up all your cash and time.:eek: I just went down to the dealer and got my deposit on a Road Glide. Just remember what the Big Book sez " We insist on enjoying life." By the way Bill W rode a Harley.;)

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
welcome to the board eddie haskell. that took alot of guts to say what you did, and i tip my hat to you. alot of hard work and will power goes towards all that, and you have got it licked. can't wait to see a pic of your bike when you get it! you will have a rewarding time no doubt;)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

ginger,
;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts