V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '99 FXR2. It's my first Harley and appears to be all stock (except for the seat). It's in excellent condition but others I've seen have a tendency to belch oil out the crankcase breather if they've sat for a few weeks without being ridden. I assume this is due to oil seeping past the ball in the oil pump, so I was thinking of replacing the pump with one not prone to this behavior. Am I barking up the wrong tree? If not, does such well-sealed pump exist? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thats an easy fix, get 2 new balls for the pump. you need to reseat the ball by tapping one in place, could use a pushrod instead, If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to remove the pump and lap the ball seat, be sure to clean lapping compound out well.

Just read post again, "others I've seen", does that mean you wanna fix it cause it happened to someone else, before it happens to you. That, you don't want to do!
Just start riding.. and enjoy the bike

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Heard about this problem lots but never had it happen to me .. Not going to worry about it until it does ..

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
don't fix what ain't broke...ride

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay and cwilks:

I see your point. Maybe I'm just too anxious to start modding. Any idea why it happens to some and not others?

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Only a few will actually pump oil out the breather. What most do is push enough to keep breather perpetually damp and leave a recurring drip. Thing to remember is that lots of these scooters get ridden a hand full of times a year and then sit for long periods without service. Same peeps that treat scooters like this will bitch loudly when it slobbers out a little oil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ive seen alot of bikes slobber the oil out the breather and not just ones that sit for a while then are only rode a few times a year. It seems to be a problem HD has had for a long time, not all bikes do it, ive seen alot that dont, i dont know why some do and some dont. My EG did it from the time it was new until i did some engine mods to it. Before i did the engine mods i had synthetic oil in it, it slobbered pretty bad getting oil all over the right side saddle bag, seat, trunk, a dealer told me to get the syn oil out and use regular oil with a higher weight, i did this and it helped alot, didnt solve the problem but a very noticeable differance that i could live with, after doing cam up grade to gear driven cams, feuling oil pump and a couple other things along with it the problem was solved, im not saying changing the oil pump is what solved the problem or if it was a combination of things i just know mine doesnt do it anymore. I agree if it isnt broke dont fix it, i didnt do the cam and pump upgrade because of the oil problem, it was preventive cam chain tensioner failer that i was avoiding by doing it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
after doing cam up grade to gear driven cams, feuling oil pump and a couple other things along with it the problem was solved, ...
i didnt do the cam and pump upgrade because of the oil problem, it was preventive cam chain tensioner failer that i was avoiding by doing it.
the OP ha an EVO engine, not a twin cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts