V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a paint saver ring for the gas cap on a 2001 FLSTSI. Last time I filled the bike before winter set in, I was trying to top it up as much as possible for storage and I had gas blow back from the pump nozzle when I let it fill too far. When I frantically pulled the nozzle out I almost chipped the paint on the edge. Thought this year, I'd get some cheap insurance in the form of a paint saver ring.

My local dealer doesn't like them - says that if they aren't installed perfectly, instead of protecting the gas tank, they will make things worse because they will trap gas and fumes against the paint, eventually causing it to peel and start to corrode behind the ring.

Anyone with direct experience with these? What types would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hey James.
Paint saver rings are just fine and do offer protection. I personally dont use them but that is because I run an 02 FXDX so its not an issue on my rig with the positioning of the fuel inlet and dash. There actually is a little rubber ring that goes on the dash pannel around the fuel filler to protect it on mine though.
Any quality paint saver ring will perform well but like the dealer told you, installation is KEY to proper function. Pick the one you like the look of best. The adhesive that comes with the kit is just enough to get a tight, complete seal and I find is NOT enough to get the paint saver bedded easily. We use 100% silicone sealant (clear on colors, black on black paint) and do the following.
We position the paint saver and install the gas cap to center it properly. Then I use the blue vinyl masking tape to carefully mask around the edge of the paint saver on the tank and another full mask on the paint saver itself to leave JUST the transition between the two exposed (approx 1/32 of an inch. Then I remove the cap and paint saver clean the surface that the saver is going to bed on completely and put a BIG thick bead of the silicone caulk under the saver (be sure the bead is even, smooth and NO air bubbles) and press the saver into position so that the excess actually starts to puke out. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!! Use a lint free rag DAMPENED NOT WET with a little acetone, press the saver down firmly and wipe JUST the INSIDE excess off the saver ring. DO NOT leave the gob of silicone on the inside before placing the gas cap back on!!!!!!!! Now after the saver is pressed on, the inside wiped clean, carefully wipe the bulk off the outside where it puked out, replace the gas cap, snug the cap down and use a VERY LIGHTLY dampened rag with ACETONE, NOT PAINT THINNER, to wipe the 1/32 transition clean. Make sure it is clean and smooth because you will NOT be able to touch up later after the silicone dries fully.
Once the transition has been wiped clean, Immediately remove the masking vinyl tape from the tank side only at this point. Let the paint saver adhesive cure for at least 2 hours at 70 degrees or better, then remove the rest of the masking and reinstall the gas cap. Allow it to cure accordingly with the directions on the silicone container.
Party On!!!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
N-P

·
Registered
121 Posts
try mixing up some 2 part epoxy and putting it around the lip of the tank (with the gas cap off) and let it set over night- have done that on 2 custom tanks with great results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.