V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at tons of posts, so I know the initial reaction is do more searches. But thought if I put out there exactly what I am looking for could get some good advice.

05 Injected Fatboy. Currently have Python 2-1, SE Air cleaner, and SERT v.412 slightly richened Stage 1 map. Decent power but really falls flat in upper RPM. Only has 700 miles on it now.

What I'd like. A Strong puller from the bottom up, but still mild enough for everyday putzing around. I'm guessing TQ in the 90 - 100 range and real flat.
Do a mix of city, country riding so need it to still be mild mannered as it is today in the low RPMS, but want much more kick up top.

I hate engine noise, ticking and clicking crap drives me nuts. I want to hear the pipes not the valvetrain. Doing it all myself, and want to still use the
SERT. Ideally a package deal that would either use a SERT map or map provided with the package. My cylinders and heads look perfect, so I'd want to get those back or use new. Money doesn't grow on trees for me, but not afraid to pay for quality.

Would like to keep the stock starter, and just do a mild clutch upgrade like the SE plates and stiffer spring. So I'm thinking compression below 10.0 to 1 to avoid starter change and compression releases.

Is there an all HD 95 SE build and canned map highly recommended. None of those are gear drive, which based on the positive comments here I am leaning towards.

Other possibilities I'm thinking.

GMR 98 w/37G and CNC head work. My question on that one is, would that be a quiet valve train and is there a SERT .v412 map available pretty close for a 2-1 pipe.

or

Bishop Performance 95" Stage II Hammerhead Package #2 Mid Torque. That uses a TW26G and Flat top 9.25 to 1 forged. I'm in SE Michigan, so this may be a pretty close reputable tuner. Not sure if they'd provide a map or if I'd still need to go in for dyno work.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
P.S. Use the 98" kit with the 10.5 to 1 compression, Head-quarters ported heads, HQ-0033G cam and a case of Depends.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Canned Maps and Tuning

After getting my ride put together, the little light bulb above my thick skull finally came on. It baffled me why I paid so much attention to every little detail about every component - reading and re-reading the service manual 3 or 4 times during the build - and then considered the tuning a 'nice to have but not critical' part of the build. I bit the bullet, found a good tuner, drove 250 miles and had it done. The results were more than well worth it.

There are combinations of cams, exhausts, intakes, pistons/jugs, etc. that work together and many more that just don't. Like one guy on this forum said, 'How can you put together a build like you order from a Chinese menu and expect everything to work together, especially without tuning?'

You might get lucky and get your bike 'close' with one of the canned maps out there, but the best you can reasonably hope for is mediocre to lousy results. Been there, tried the tweak and re-tweak method many, many times.

I am by know means an expert and therefore in no positon to 'preach', but sometimes pass on lessons I have learned the hard way: No matter what you use - PC, SERT, DFO, etc. - get it tuned.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
The answer is simple...GMR 98", 37G w/9.7-9.8/1 cr GMR heads, baisley spring, SERT tuned to perfection, a case of Depends.
Simple, reliable, affordable, and bulletproof.

Call Steve.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm leaning toward that 98 GMR kit. Sounds like the 37G and 9.7 CR would be mild enough to stay with stock starter and minor clutch mods. I like the idea of going with a proven kit, so should probably go with his CNC head work.

Didn't realize Head Quarters was so close. Another one to consider. I'm in the Flint area, so it looks like HQ or Bishop would each be an about an hour away. GMR would be all by mail.

Anyone in the Flint area recommend a good SERT tuner. If I go with the GMR 98 is there a SERT map close enough to put a couple hundred miles on before hitting a dyno.

Thanks again

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do you need any clutch work with 98"?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Michrider said:
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm leaning toward that 98 GMR kit. Sounds like the 37G and 9.7 CR would be mild enough to stay with stock starter and minor clutch mods. I like the idea of going with a proven kit, so should probably go with his CNC head work.

Didn't realize Head Quarters was so close. Another one to consider. I'm in the Flint area, so it looks like HQ or Bishop would each be an about an hour away. GMR would be all by mail.

Anyone in the Flint area recommend a good SERT tuner. If I go with the GMR 98 is there a SERT map close enough to put a couple hundred miles on before hitting a dyno.

Thanks again

I'm sure Doug at HQ can point you towards a good tuner in the area.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Michrider said:

Thanks again
There is;

Cummings' Harley-Davidson
5350 Davison Rd.
Burton, MI 48509
Tel. (810) 234-6620

They can use the same DirectLink tuning system that Bishops uses along with one called RapidBike. Both are good systems and do not require a SERT.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Settled on 95" for this bike. Will do a 98" torque monster when I get a bagger in a few years.

So for a 95" w/ flat tops the two I've seen with a lot of positive comments lately:

Dewey Prostreet porting/or GMR porting, and 37G

or

Headquarters headwork and hq-0039

Any big difference in either combo? Dyno charts seem very similiar, but cam specs quite a bit different. Besides a Baisley spring and adjustable push rods, would either combo need anything else like roller rockers? Those with the 37G, it looks fairly mild but does it still have a real strong top end?

Tearing it down this weekend, but still time to pick the combination. Will talk to Cummings HD about their tuning, bought the bike there last year so hopefully they have a good SERT tuner.

Thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Michrider said:
Any big difference in either combo? Dyno charts seem very similiar, but cam specs quite a bit different. Besides a Baisley spring and adjustable push rods,
Thanks.
Why do you need adjustable pushrods?

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
brassman said:
98" kit with HQ-0039 cams @ 9:7:1 !!!! STUMP PULLER !
Thats what I am counting on for my new ultra build.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Michrider said:
Settled on 95" for this bike. Will do a 98" torque monster when I get a bagger in a few years.

So for a 95" w/ flat tops the two I've seen with a lot of positive comments lately:

Dewey Prostreet porting/or GMR porting, and 37G

or

Headquarters headwork and hq-0039

Any big difference in either combo? Dyno charts seem very similiar, but cam specs quite a bit different. Besides a Baisley spring and adjustable push rods, would either combo need anything else like roller rockers? Those with the 37G, it looks fairly mild but does it still have a real strong top end?

Tearing it down this weekend, but still time to pick the combination. Will talk to Cummings HD about their tuning, bought the bike there last year so hopefully they have a good SERT tuner.

Thanks.
Dewey's does nice heads. A friend's got them and loves them. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Steve at GMR!! I'm partial to the Head-Quarters build, obviously!! Dougs been around a long time and he won't steer you wrong. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these guys!!:clap:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I have seen Steve's and Doug's work. Very nice.

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
I've seen Dewey's work and would say it's very, very nice.:thumbsup:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Michrider clean out some of your messages. I'm trying to send you some info you might find helpful.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Ok

I do have several 98 maps that will work very well for a break in map. There are plenty guys here that have used the map nad it has run great. As for a basic kit I would lean towards the 9.7 over the 10.5 based on cam needs riding style and over all price of build. But just my humble opinion.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
I would lean towards the 9.7 over the 10.5 based on cam needs riding style and over all price of build.
@gree: Actually you could say 10-1 w/ the right cam, say an Andrews 37G, but I wouldn't go any higher for your wants and needs. Just my -2$en#e-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts