V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing some wrenching in my road king, mods are as follows:

s&s 100” kit with 585 EasyStarts, 10.5:1 comp. free flow exhaust and AC already done.

I punched in Daytona’s generic stage three numbers, but the bike seems to fall on its face and 50-100% throttle, and this cam should be gettin it in those mid to upper RPM’s.

anyone have a similar setup?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the twin tuner (was already on the scoot when I picked it up).
I fingered as much, or take it to a dyno shop to get it proper, but was hopeful that a member as done this kit.

I have the hardware to connect I to the computer, guess I’ll be lookin into there o2 sensor kit to finish it up.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
Yea, the twin tuner (was already on the scoot when I picked it up).
I fingered as much, or take it to a dyno shop to get it proper, but was hopeful that a member as done this kit.

I have the hardware to connect I to the computer, guess I’ll be lookin into there o2 sensor kit to finish it up.
You need the 02 sensors to see what its actually doing as far a fuel mix. And then you can make some changes. A dyno pull will include reading the exhaust gas, and as long as it has 18mm bungs in the pipes, would be part of the package. They sell an updated system that auto tunes itself. But before I went that route, I would just swap it out for a Thundermax.

·
not sober all the time
5,368 Posts
I had one of the Daytona Twin Tec TCFI units several years ago. It uses feedback from wide-band oxygen sensors to control A/F ratio, logs data, etc. I used data logging to monitor performance gain or loss, time vs distance. Got it to where I was satisfied except I couldn't get rid of the light ping when I rolled the throttle on. Took it to a dyno just to see what the numbers looked like. Peaked just over 96 HP/95 lb/ft with a nice flat torque curve, 4th gear SAE from 95 CID. I kept tweaking it to get better time/distance data so I know it picked up power. But the light ping still haunted me.

I installed a true dual exhaust and re-tuned it. Peak torque was 102 but it dipped @ 2,500 and lost power on top. It sounded good so I rode a while with the duals.

I put the FatCat 2-1 exhaust back on and the factory ECM with a SERT. With some more tweaking I improved time/distance data over the best data I had with the TCFI unit. Also reduced ping to almost zero except if I hit it too hard at low RPM (which we know we shouldn't do). Never had it on a dyno after the work but it's probably well over 100/100.
Point being, you need a way to monitor things. A/F, spark retard, power output, etc. A dyno makes it a lot easier to monitor these. Even if you have a unit that "auto tunes" you don't know if a change in the tune makes better power unless you have a way to measure it.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Had one 15 years ago on my own bike. A big learning curve and that said despite getting it all dialed in missing when compared to the Delphi was any form of detonation control and load based spark curve. A speed density system, so throttle position and rpms control spark advance. The Delphi is Alpha-n and uses MAP pressure plus rpm and temperature plus time inputs to adjust the spark. In a performance motor, when the tuner has the ability and understanding to tune this system, it is far superior. Why? Load is taken into consideration. This feature allows running higher static compression without the effects and in a rare case when the motor pings the Ion sensing will pull timing out to protect the motor. Neither the Daytona Twin Tec or the Thundermax have those features.
My 2007 Streetglide had a 107 with 10.5:1 compression and a reasonable 47 intake close cam. Cam was recommended for up to 11:1. Bike pinged while traveling at cruise speed 2700 rpms about and up slight hills. Could I fix it, yes. Pull timing then the bike lost the responsiveness on flats and overall ran hot. Best thing I ever did was pull all that junk off and put the Delphi back on and have Lonewolf tune it in Nanaimo with a TTS. Ran cool and was super responsive. Got rid of a software glitch in their system too that made the bike high idle after a gas stop. Super annoying.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
Had one 15 years ago on my own bike. A big learning curve and that said despite getting it all dialed in missing when compared to the Delphi was any form of detonation control and load based spark curve. A speed density system, so throttle position and rpms control spark advance. The Delphi is Alpha-n and uses MAP pressure plus rpm and temperature plus time inputs to adjust the spark. In a performance motor, when the tuner has the ability and understanding to tune this system, it is far superior. Why? Load is taken into consideration. This feature allows running higher static compression without the effects and in a rare case when the motor pings the Ion sensing will pull timing out to protect the motor. Neither the Daytona Twin Tec or the Thundermax have those features.
My 2007 Streetglide had a 107 with 10.5:1 compression and a reasonable 47 intake close cam. Cam was recommended for up to 11:1. Bike pinged while traveling at cruise speed 2700 rpms about and up slight hills. Could I fix it, yes. Pull timing then the bike lost the responsiveness on flats and overall ran hot. Best thing I ever did was pull all that junk off and put the Delphi back on and have Lonewolf tune it in Nanaimo with a TTS. Ran cool and was super responsive. Got rid of a software glitch in their system too that made the bike high idle after a gas stop. Super annoying.
Ummm, I think you switched it up on the fuel control strategies.

Delphi as applied to Harley's is speed density. The fuel maps will show fuel based on rpm and manifold pressure (MAP)

Alpha -N uses throttle position in place of manifold pressure. So the maps will show fuel based on rpm and throttle position. It makes good power, but wastes fuel at light throttle pressure and is very EPA unfriendly.

The big advantage of speed density is fuel economy and low emissions. But it is very poor at making power. Most performance tuning systems convert it to a hybrid delivery strategy. Biasing throttle position over manifold pressure.

It should also be noted that while only the Delphi is equipped with detonation detection, it doesn't work very well for twin cam applications. And was really just there to appease the EPA. That spark ion bull **** was abandoned by the auto industry over 10 years ago, only Harley stayed with it, and even they abandoned it in 2017.

At some point, Harley will be forced to move to mass air on the injection systems. And there is no longer any reason not to as far as packaging, the sensor package can be smaller than an 8oz coke can now.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Thanks for the correction you are right about speed density VS Alpha-N. I prefer the Delphi VS the others and if you have a look over at HTT in the dyno section anyone can see that the Delphi doubles as a very good performance controller when tuned by a professional with a flash tuner. Just because a product can improve emissions does not automatically remove it from the possibility of working well in a performance application. Guys like the others because they can be tuned with wide bands just riding them, the AFR that is. It takes a little more fussing and knowledge of computers to tune the Delphi with one of the flash tuners and a dyno is almost mandatory. Then there is the cost. A dyno tune is a fixed cost anybody needs regardless of whether the software instructions says they can be road tuned. The dyno in the proper hands will bring out more horsepower and torque. Timing is what gets overlooked with most tunes and that can unlock power plus help a bike have better driveability and mileage. The better tuners sell the end user a license and for the tune, that's it. No $950 dollar controller is purchased.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve been doing some wrenching in my road king, mods are as follows:

s&s 100” kit with 585 EasyStarts, 10.5:1 comp. free flow exhaust and AC already done.

I punched in Daytona’s generic stage three numbers, but the bike seems to fall on its face and 50-100% throttle, and this cam should be gettin it in those mid to upper RPM’s.

anyone have a similar setup?
Whatever you do re tuning and software, all I can add is that you're right about how it should run. I had a 98" with 585s at 10.5, appropriate head work and exhaust - and it ran very well. Street friendly low to mid and strong mid to high. Linear power delivery and just a nice-running motor. Enjoyed that build a lot. Get yours sorted and you'll probably like it a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts