V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of relocating to Kings Bay Georgia and looking for shops with good reps (and avoiding the shate). Looking for the basics and a descent parts house (i.e. not raping $$$ and keeps stuff in stock) for routine maint.

The only dealerships in the area, as far as I can tell, is a fairly new (I think) shop in Brunswick, GA (Golden Isles) and the 2 shops in Jacksonville. Can't find anything on Brunswick, and the 2 in Jax don't seem to have a good rep, but thats old info.

For wrenching, would really perfer an Indy shop to tell the truth, I've always had better luck with them, but any advice on the area would be great. Area I'd like to stick with is Bruswick down to Jax (we bought a place dead in between those two).

Also looking for a good dyno shop, but guessing I'll have to travel a bit more for good results.

Thanks,

Allen

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Allen,

Most of the surrounding Harley dealers within 100 miles south of where you live (or will be living soon) have had a poor reputation. Having two Harleys, mine a 04 Low Rider and my father's an 05 Peace Officer Electraglide, we have had experience with pretty much all the Harley dealers from Jax down to New Smyrna Beach, FL. and as far west as Gainesville. These experiences were awful.

Lets start with Jacksonville. The two area dealers are Adamec's Orange Park HD and Adamec's Regency HD. Both of these dealers are affiliated with each other, I believe owned by the same people. Both have poor service, with less than desirable results. We did not have service here but from recommendations to stay away from people who have, we decided to go else where.

St. Augustine HD

Another disaster. St. Augustine is a one owner operation that gives no deals and has a poor service department. They f**ked up the Lowrider for the 1000 mile service. They put the wrong oil in the primary cover (SAE 60). The bike came out of the shop with a very bad vibration and seemed to now have the mufflers misaligned. We never went back, fixed the problems ourselves and occasionally go to purchase a small amount of parts. No deals or breaks given. The best place to buy parts is in Daytona Beach HD but the store located on Beach St. not the new Destination Daytona.

Gainesville HD

This is where the Electraglide was purchased. Sales practices are unscrupulous, resulting in a complaint filed with Motor Vehicles for the return of excess money paid in estimated Tags and Title Fees. According to the dealer, they do not return money. FL state law says otherwise and requires them to return the differerence in fees to the purchaser. A friend bought an 05 Heritage Softtail brand new and had accessories and upgrades made before taking delivery. Due to carelessness on the part of the technicians, several days later, he was stranded due to Clutch inoperability. It turned out, when technicians worked up the bike, they never tightened up the locknuts on the clutch cable causing the clutch to malfunction. Monies were also not returned to him, requiring another complaint with Motor Vehicles to obtain the funds.

Daytona Beach HD (BEACH ST--Downtown)

PARTS ONLY

Destination Daytona (OFF I 95, Exit 273 US 1)

Probably the lesser of all evils. Quality of work depends on technician assigned. There are several that are good. Prices seem to be fair. The same type of work varies among the dealers of Northern and Central FL. In my opinion, experience seems to be that Daytona gave the best price. Good selection of parts in stock but all new people work here that seem to have no clue what they are doing. Beach Street is a better bet for parts.

***Both of these dealers are owned by Bruce Rossmeyer as well as New Smyrna, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano and God knows which others. Destination Daytona is the newest dealer opening this past November 05.

New Smyrna HD

This is where my Low Rider came from. The parts guy we dealt with is no longer there. We no longer go to this dealer due to internal problems and it appears that on a basis of price, they charge more money for the same job than other dealers.

After market shops

Two that seem to be big in the area of Daytona Beach are Carl's Speed Shop and Custom Works. I believe Carl's Speed Shop has a Dyno as well as Daytona HD (Beach St).

Judging by your location, I know that Daytona is a stretch. As far as GA, I have only read a few comments regarding Golden Isles, and they were negative. I do not know of any dealers North of you. Perhaps someone will have some other input.

Everything I wrote here is of course my opinion and the opinion of others based on either personal experience myself or friends who have had negative experiences. Hope this helps. IF you have any other questions, give me a shout. Good luck and have a safe move.

Joe

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I live in Jax and personally, I don't even like buying a quart of oil from the local dealers. they're T-shirt shops that sell chrome doo-dads and trinkets; not real bike shops. The desk help don't know a TC-88 engine from Adam's cat, and stock NOTHING other than the above mentioned chrome doo-dads and trinkets. If you get anything from them that seems to be a stock part, they salvaged it off somebody else's bike that was foolish enough to let them do an upgrade. (I got a pair of [new] stock Heritage bars that came exactly like that.) Got no use for those people at all.

Bought my bike at the Gainesville dealer, and have to admit that was a good experience all the way around. Never had any service done there, but I got a good price on the bike and a feeling that they were just decent folks to deal with.

Deal with the people you're most comfortable with. But for sure, look around before you deal at all!

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, that's what I was afraid of.

This sux.... glad I do most of the wrenching myself. Just nice to have a few folks local that I can trust if I get in too deep.

I have been looking at a 95" kit for the Fatboy and a 103" for the E-Glide. Guess I need to grow some sac and rip them apart myself. Wish I had some adult supervision though.

I see a lot more mail-order in the future.....

Allen

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Savannah H-D north of you is ok...and I believe they own the one in Brunswick too but I have no knowledge of them personally. I do all my own maintenance so I can't really say anything about the service department but I've never heard anything really bad about it. The store itself is fairly well stocked and runs 20% off sales periodically. It's right off of I-95 so it's easy to find.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
There's a small shop in Jax called Double D Cycles. Two young guys run it and they are pretty good guys. Only thing I've used them for has been tires and mounting but they are very reasonable and quick. There shop is located at 7333 Buffalo Ave (North side of Jax) 904-713-9009. As I said the only thing I've used them for is tires so can't really testify to their mechanical ability. As far as dyno tuning I used Stock Mild to Wild on Blanding Blvd once and wasn't satisfied although they do stock alot of parts. Probably the best deal going on dyno tuning is Doc in Orlando (well worth the drive). He teachs dyno tuning at MMI and does dynoing on saturdays by appointment only, you'll see hundreds of his posts on the board under the name HDMD88. He also builds engines. There's also a shop on 1404 Eastport road (North Jax) called Speed Specialty's. They've got to much business but they do stock a lot of parts for a small shop. I've heard good things about Florida Custom Cycles at 7125 Atlantic Blvd but I've only bought parts from them. Best place for parts is probably Millers in Daytona about 120 miles from you. Good luck and welcome to North Florida.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Kari said:
You'll love the paper mill smell in St. Marys. My ex-husband was stationed there on the USS Penn.
The paper mill is shut down. Japanese bought it operated it for a short time and shut it down. The locals use to say it smells like money.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kari said:
You'll love the paper mill smell in St. Marys. My ex-husband was stationed there on the USS Penn.
No shate.... I was on the Penn Blue years ago (a little over 10 actually)! Small freakin world!

Yea, Gillman folded up shop a few years ago. From what I've heard, all of the land the paper mill sat on is being sold to be leveled by developers. I don't know that much about the paper industry, but I'd have to think twice about buying a house build on top of anything that smelled like that! :fart:

Sticking with Kingsland.... the better-half is already there and likes the house we bought. I'll just be glad to get there- only 5 days left!

Allen

·
Registered
13 Posts
My ex served on the USS Penn about 1990-1994. He was a MM. We owned a house located right off base. We were the original owners of the computer store in Kingsland. I'm pretty certain its still there - was called Laser Computers.

All in all, Kingsland/St Marys/etc wasn't a bad place to live.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kari,

Ya know, I remember that place (Laser Computers)! It is a small world..... what was the ex's name.... I may have known him! If rather not, PM me... you have my curiosity peaked now!

The Kings Bay area was not the reason I wanted to leave..... it was the fact that being on a Trident was about as much fun as watching grass grow.

As for getting work done, I guess I'll give Brunswick (Golden Isles) a try. Will post back this spring (after I have some feel of the place) to let folks know haw they treat folks.

Anyone else have any suggestions, please feel free!

Thanks,
Allen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stay far away from the two Sealers in Jacksonville especially if you have any mods on your bike. My bike a 05 was not getting any fuel to the rear cylinder, called them up told them the problem and that it had a PC on it, was told no problem with the warranty. Removed the PC off and took it to them. Called them up to check on it said that I had hit something , damaging my crank position sensor, they had four hours into it, and wanted to know if I had insurance, would get back to me as soon as the tech got back from a test ride. Never called back so I called them, oh sorry that was someone else’s bike yours has a bad ECM, had to order a new one. Few days latter got a call, the PC had been hooked up backwards (impossible to do and bike had been ruining fine for months with the PC) damaging the ECM, warranty void. Told them no thanks will pick up my bike and fix it myself. This was in November 05 so its new info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts