V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these aren't Japanese Cruisers but I thought maybe there might be someone out there that owns this bike that would want to know.

2000 Suzuki SV650 Motorcycles Recalled - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published the recall of certain 2000 Suzuki SV650 motorcycles, manufactured between July - December, 1999, because the motorcycle crankcase design allows the creation of air pockets near the oil pump inlet due to sloshing of the oil in the crankcase. If the oil pump draws air, inadequate lubrication to the engine occurs, causing severe engine damage and resulting in engine failure. Sudden engine failure while riding could cause rear wheel lockup, causing the driver to lose control of the motorcycle.

Honda Recalls CBR939RR Motorcycle - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting the 2000 and 2001 Honda CBR939RR motorcycle. The affected models were manufactured between September 1999 and November 2000.
On certain motorcycles, when the clutch lever is released to the friction point, but the lever is not completely released to fully engage the clutch, strong clutch disk vibration could occur at the higher engine rpms used for rapid or race-type starts. This stress can cause the clutch to fail. This failure results in several large sections cracking and eventually separating from the clutch. If this occurs, rear lock-up is possible if a broken piece is caught in the primary drive gear. The engine could lose primary ignition and stop suddenly if a broken piece damages the pulsar rotor. Also, engine oil can leak from the crankcase if a broken piece is forced through the crankcase. The spilled oil could cause the rear wheel to lose traction and the motorcycle could crash.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Unfortunately, mechanical devises will fail. EVERY model of bike is subject to some kinda recall. Don't let it bother you. Some of the recalls are serious and some are not.

The Honda Goldwing, their Flagship, has been recalled extensively. Don't let it rattle you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Thanks! I was kind of shocked to see your post / reply -- I figured a seasoned rider like yourself would be on the road -- distination Sturgis. You're not going this year?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
cox9000, we posted together on another thread.

Lisa and I leave early tomorrow for a 2 week ridin' adventure. Sturgis was in 2001. Sturgis will be again in 2003!!!:D

Look forward to seeing you and your friends there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh Darn, I just made myself look foolish. No wonder my buddies weren't talking about 2002, all the talk was for 2003. I thought they were just being nice and didn't want me to feel bad because they knew I wouldn't have my bike yet. Boy do I feel better -- I didn't miss it after all :)
Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Sturgis is an annual event. I went in 2001 and won't be making it this year. FifthGear has posted about the H/D Forum members getting together there in 2003.

Everybody was a newbie, once. Some people forget that and become assholes. (Oh, I'm the GREAT biker! Yeah, right. Ride a few thousands miles by yourself. Alone. Cross the 100K mile mark. Maybe, you can call yourself a biker. Don't worry about what your friends say, one way or the other. Just ride.)

The H/D Forum has members who regularly ride thousands of miles. On their own. By themselves. These are bikers. Not the boys who ride their customized 30K bikes from bar to bar.

That being said, I'm going to check the Forum one last time before I hit the "Away" button on my profile.

Plan on joining us in 2003. Sturgis. It's a PLAN.

·
Registered
176 Posts
True Biker

I like what PasadenaJim said about maybe being a biker.I'm into my
34th year of riding and currently have 127,500 on my bikes odometer.
Except for a few club events,I ride by myself about 90 % of the time.
I've had various models of bikes and can truely say that motorcycles
are my passion.With this said ,I believe I still have alot to learn as each
ride presents some new challenge to overcome.I have always been
told that there are two kinds of bikers,those that have been down and
those that are going down.So, I wish everyone here on the H-D
forum a safe remainder of the season.Be careful out there and remain
one of those that haven't gone down.

Ride Safe
Masher

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
pasadenajim said:
Not the boys who ride their customized 30K bikes from bar to bar.

Nothing wrong with that every now and again though. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hear there is a serious recall on the Yamaha Roadstar 2001 through 2004..
I hear its an entire top end rebuild and you are not supposed to ride them until it is fixed..

This is all "I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend" info.. So if I am wrong, please don't shoot me.. But if you are in the market for a Yamaha Roadstar 1100 anytime soon, Do your homework. They are like 6 months behind getting this recall worked out..

My friend that just bought his this winter has been told that his will not be fixed until september.. Riding season will just about be over by then..

Faxxxy!
Even Rolls Royce has a service department...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
There is a recall on all 2002&2003 and some 2001 roadstars & roadstar warriors.There is a circlip problem in the transmisson and the entire motor has to be taken apart to fix it.I waited 4 months to have mine done and that gave me time to figure I didn't want my warrior any more so I traded it and some cash for a 2001 harley.I do miss the power and handling but I plan on keeping the dyna so I'm gonna do some suspension and motor mods to bring it up to snuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up on the roadstars..

I think my friend has worked out a deal with the shop to have a new hi-performance piston put in while they are in there.. The labor has to be done anyway, so it only cost him the price of the part..

Which poses the question.. What do you do with the old piston??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts