V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi do you guy's know anything about harley recalling 04 dyna lowriders? for some sort of problem. Any news would be great thanks.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
moochy37 said:
Hi do you guy's know anything about harley recalling 04 dyna lowriders? for some sort of problem. Any news would be great thanks.
I think there was a recall on certain '04s for something rubbing under the tank. Can't recall exactly what it was. Give your dealer a call and they can look it up. All they need is a VIN.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Got my notice last week on my Wideglide......something about something rubbing a hole in the tank. Called the local dealer to have it taken care of and they don't have the parts for the repair.
I was told be the dealer that they sold four Wideglides that would be effected by the recall and it is Harleys policy to only send the dealer 25% of the parts needed for any recall until the dealer requests them

·
Registered
62 Posts
the recall is for an inspection and repair if necessary for the throttle cables rubbing the underside of the tank and possibly rubbing a hole resulting in a fuel leak checked mine my self found no problem so not that worried about it but for piece of mind you should have it checked or simply remove the tank yourself and see if there is any indication of rubbing if so put it back together and have harley fix it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re recall

Hi guy's thanks for the messages, I phoned my Harley dealer and you are right it is somthing rubbing under the tank, he said it might just be a case of replacing cable ties or some of the wiring or worst case scenario a new tank.
Once again thanks for replying.:thanks:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Throttle/idle cables possibly rubbing:

Quote:
1. Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has learned that a
condition affecting safety exists in certain 2004 Dyna
FXDL/I, FXDWG/I, FXD/I, FXDX/I and FXDP model
motorcycles built, from June 11, 2003 through February
2, 2004. The affected motorcycles have a condition
that may allow the throttle cables to contact the
tunnel portion of the fuel tank. In this condition,
the cables could eventually wear through the tank,
causing a fuel leak, thereby presenting the risk of a
fire and possible injury or death to the rider.
Unquote

If the FXDL is like my '95 Wideglide you can remove the front gas tank mount bolt and rotate the tank a few inches. Once it's up a little bit you have a clear view of the routing of the cables and can at least tell if they have rubbed or caused any damage. On my WG the cables run through a standoff bracket that keeps them in place but also keeps them from rubbing the tank. Not sure if the FXDL is the same. I just this morning went with a friend to drop his wife's 2004 FXDL off at the dealer to have the recall performed and documented. However, if it was my bike I would have raised the tank and inspected it myself first. I do recommend against actually removing the tank if need be. Let the dealer do that work if needed...on their dime.

Good luck.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
4 Posts
~recall~

I got my `04 Lowrider out of the shop yesterday after "2" recalls and as i was walking around the bike to make sure it was not damaged i did notice the rear fender is not straight, i am going today to look at a new Lowrider to see if that fender is also kinda offset too..:chopper:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
TourPack said:
I got my `04 Lowrider out of the shop yesterday after "2" recalls and as i was walking around the bike to make sure it was not damaged i did notice the rear fender is not straight, i am going today to look at a new Lowrider to see if that fender is also kinda offset too..:chopper:

Don't use the '06 Low Rider as a gauge to judge your '04. The '06 is a totally different bike from the frame up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
be leary of taking your bikes in for this recall without inspecting them yourself first a friend took her bike in and sure enough it was rubbing they told her she needed a new tank then they told her it would be 2 months before they could get the tank. now heres the kicker they also told her that due to liability issues they could not give her back the bike until it was fixed :flames: do you beleive that crap now they have her bike and are telling her she cant have it back for 2 months

HEY MOCO:nfu2: :nfu2: :nfu2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
to be honest there CAN be a problem. When I took off the tank of my dina have been surprised how light it is compared to the one of my bmw. At least the half of the weight for tabout the same liters/galon capacity. It seems to be dane of paper **** dimesioned walls. if it so I can believe a cable can make an hole, also some few rusty. :nono:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
BigJon, I would not think that a dealer could legally keep someone from retrieving their personal property. I could understand it if they documented that they advised someone not to ride the bike until repaired but no way would I let anyone keep my bike if it was rideable. They may even ask your friend to sign that document (I'd tell them to eat ****). Unless that damage is really bad I would bet you could put on some anti-chafe material and be just fine until the new tank comes in. They could use a depth-micrometer to see how much wear there actually is....taking into account the paint thickness. They know all that stuff already and are just playing cover their asses.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
recall

Hi guy's just to let you know they recalled my bike and done the work , it looks like they changed the cable ties for some other clips and now the throttle cables dont touch the sides.
They told me that it was rubbing just on the inside and needed touch up i did check this myself and they were correct, so big thumbs up there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts